Thread: Yet another new instrument!

Yet another new instrument!

My retirement didn’t last, and as I have returned to full time playing with fire in my belly and new resolve, I’ve bought another euphonium. This time a 1983 B&H “Round Stamp” Sovereign, in its original case and with its original lacquer. First time at rehearsal this evening, and it exceeded my hopes. Tuning was consistent (even allowing for the somewhat erstwhile top F and G (Treble). The lower register was as thick as I’d anticipated, especially lower Eb and D (TC).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B72A8F76-8ACC-4E08-982A-7CCA5942CCC5.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	6927
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

This is my second round stamp, and it’s very nearly as good as the first (which admittedly was the first one ever built and previously belonged to Lyndon Baglin).

My second euphonium colleague, who plays a ratty 1990s lottery era Sovereign 967GS, had a go after rehearsal and loved it as well.

They simply feel better made. Ergonomically everything works - the false piece is precisely right, the 3rd slide tubing is square to the body of the euphonium rather than tapered towards as the new Bessons are, and the “S” leadpipe is much better than any of the new euphoniums, and Adams aside, I’ve tried pretty much all of them. Peculiarly the John Ridgeon 1LE fits in the receiver more snuggly than in the Bessie 967 I had been using.

In short I’m very pleased, and already looking forward to this morning’s scales and arpeggios warm up, and this afternoon’s practice,