Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antoine Courtois' Euphonium information

I'm really disappointed to see the trouble that Kanstul is in right now. I've been absolutely thrilled with mine, and I know tons of players who swear by their flugels. I'm hoping they can pull through and keep making instruments here in the US.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

This felt like the most appropriate thread to mention that I just saw Kanstul reduced their last two euphoniums to $4250 (976 with removable bronze bell) and $4000 (975), which is a steal for that quality of a brand new horn. You can see them on Kanstul's Facebook page.

Honestly if I had the money on hand, I'd buy one of them out of simple curiosity.

If he considers the Courtois the best, then he is certainly the only one. I’ve tried probably every euphonium on the market, and found Courtois instruments ungainly, very suspect intonation wise, poorly built, overpriced, and not conducive to making a big sound.

Certainly they are inferior in every respect to either Boosey & Hawkes, or Besson (unless it’s a 967GS which were dreadful).
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

I really like the early GS Bessons! When they first introduced them in 1993 and 1994 they were really fantastic, and I feel that the quality was good up until about 1997 or 1998 when they started to really cheap out on them. But the design was good. I certainly would rather have a really good GS from 1994 than a round stamp.
    --
    Barry

Fascinating! I cordially dislike the thin brass, the 3rd slide water key, the floating lead pipe, and the flimsy build. Ergonomically they’re all wrong too - the angle at which I play meant my head gets too close to the bell. The main tuning slide legs are too short as well. For me, too much wasted energy in needless vibration throughout the instrument.

Having said that, my second euphonium comrade loves his. I’d much rather play an Imperial, or even better a round stamp.

However it was good for Besson and UK brass bands as the minimum discount was 30% and they were readily available.

The 994 BBbs were crap as well.
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123