X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abenigni123
    • Nov 2017

Is a Besson 1065 a good college horn?

Hi, I've been playing around three years and am now going to college in hopes to keep playing for as long as I can. It's a passion of mine I don't intend to lose any time soon. That being said, I'm on a pretty low budget, I dont think anything over $3000 is going to suffice, and I've looked in a lot of places. The 1065 seems promising, I'm just afraid it might not be a great college horn. Thoughts?
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest getting a Wessex Dolce. You'll find a lot of discussion about it on the forum. It is compensating, plays very well, and costs under $1500.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• guidocorona
      • Jun 2018

Alternatively, the Wessex EP104 Festivo for $1850 has implemented side valves, and is said to have a slightly more open wrap than Dolce. David, have you tried it and compared it to the Dolce?

I received my own Festivo just a couple of days ago.... I like it very much, but it being my first horn larger than a flugel, unsurprisingly I am horridly rusty on it. I use the Wessex Y4 stock MP shipped with it, as well as the Wick SM4U.

Regards, Guido
      M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
      Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
      Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• abenigni123
        • Nov 2017

I found a Besson 767 being sold for 2,400 and I'm leaning pretty heavily on that. What are your thoughts? I can't seem to find too much in terms of reviews for the horn

Comment

• abenigni123
          • Nov 2017

I've also found an old Besson being sold for 1000. It's one of the older ones, I'd say around 70's, because it has an old engraving with the "50 medals of honour" engraved above the name. There's no model number, only a serial number and I'm having all sorts of difficulty trying to figure out what kind of model it is. Do any of you by any chance know?

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

The older Bessons have a great tone but playing in tune can be challenging. You’ll have to lip some pitches or use alternate fingering... especially for the 6th partials (Eb, E, F concert above bass clef staff). Here’s a post about the Besson 767 from eleven years ago:
            http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...7#.W1SiQ1opChA
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
            ​

Comment

• daruby
              • Apr 2006

In answer to the OP (Original Poster), I am not a big fan of the 1065 as a college horn. It is a non-compensating instrument that has a nice sound but whose pitch is generally worse than a Yamaha 321. I am also absolutely not a fan of the Wessex Festivo for this purpose. It would be a nice horn for ensemble or community band playing, but it is a front valve instrument, and it points in the opposite direction of the horns that all of your band mates will be using. This can be awkward and also perceived as not as serious by your colleagues and/or teachers at the college level. The Wessex Dolce is a traditional compensating euphonium and does not have these issues.

Not knowing what your actual college plans are (what school, are you a music major, etc?) makes replying to you difficult. My STRONGEST recommendation is that you contact you college level teacher (assuming you will be taking lessons) and find out what he/she recommends.

Doug
              Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
              Concord Band
              Winchendon Winds
              Townsend Military Band

Comment

• guidocorona
                • Jun 2018

Festivo's non-canonic positioning of pistons and bell direction may or may not be a concern, depending on institution, band and band director, teacher/tutor, etc... Regardless, discussing and seeking purchase advice from school staff and more senior students is an excellent idea... Post-purchase bad surprises can be painful, and... Costly to boot.

G.

Comment

• abenigni123
                  • Nov 2017

That's an excellent idea, and I will do so immediately. Thank you much!!

Comment

• guidocorona
                    • Jun 2018

Please do keep us posted... I am quite interested in hearing about their opinions.

G.

Comment

• abenigni123
                      • Nov 2017

I would like you all to know that I'm going to be purchasing the 767 for 2600, shipping included. My professor said, in his words, "a great horn that will serve you will for your years here." I'm extremely excited, especially to play a compensating horn for the first time. Thank you all for your help!!

Comment

• guidocorona
                        • Jun 2018

Congrats abenigni123...

Keep us posted with your impressions of the 767!

Saluti, Guido

Comment

• abenigni123
                          • Nov 2017

Of course! It arrives in about a month, Ill be sure to keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
                          X