Thread: Euphonium Fingering for High G

Euphonium Fingering for High G

This is probably a very stupid question, I've only recently took a serious look at the physics of the tubes in the Euphonium, and am now consciously aware of how the 1st valve adds 1 note, while the 2nd valve adds a semitone. With that awareness, I am now confused as to the fingering for the G in the octave above the bass clef. I've always used valve 2 for A and G in that range, but.... how and why is that possible?

Then Googling around, I've seen the fingering being valve 1 and 2, which made sense. But I've also seen valve 3 being recommended to play that G. So here I am, here asking a stupid question after playing the eupho for so long and not being aware of the physics or even the logic behind producing a high G with all the different fingering.

I am using a 3 valve student model Yamaha with a small shank, if that's relevant.

seventh partial is a flat a-flat. A semitone down from that is a flat G. If your particular instrument's seventh partial is relatively high or if your second valve is relatively short, you could have a usable G with second valve. Usually, this would be played on the eighth partial with 1+2.
    --
    Barry

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    …. Then Googling around, I've seen the fingering being valve 1 and 2, which made sense. But I've also seen valve 3 being recommended to play that G. So here I am, here asking a stupid question after playing the eupho for so long and not being aware of the physics or even the logic behind producing a high G with all the different fingering....
    Christiane,

The G above the staff is usually played 1&2 or 3. The G in the staff is usually sharp with 1&2, so some folks will play this note with the 3rd valve only. Especially if the G is held for any length at all. If it is a fast passage with the G in the middle, probably makes little difference if you use 1&2 or 3, use whatever lies better for your fingers.

What might be useful is to get a good tuner and try playing all of these various notes with the various fingerings. When trying to see the tuning of a G, especially the higher one, play a scale up to that note, then hold it and check the tuning. Try 1&2 and 3. 2 would be the fingering for the A above G, I don't know that I would try to do the G with the 2nd valve only. Check your slides also. Check them using the traditional fingering(s).

Dave has a good article on adjusting your slides (I think) somewhere on the site.

If you were playing the upper G and A both with the 2nd valve, it would be much more difficult to play a scale with those two adjacent notes. Instead of using different fingerings to go from G to A or A to G, you would have to "slur" these two notes in a rapid scale passage. I think you need to "unlearn" G with 2 valve.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thank you both for your explanations!

Yes, unfortunately, I've been playing G with 2nd valve for the longest time that it's ingrained in me. I did notice earlier today that using the 2nd valve takes some load off of the embouchure compared to using 1&2. But I haven't properly tried 3rd valve yet. Shall give it a try tomorrow and report back!

Also, will look for Dave's slide guide!

Here’s a link to Dave Werden’s article on how to set your slides for proper tuning. Hopefully this is the one they were suggesting.

How to tune - (adjusting slides)
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Rick, that is the one I was thinking of (adjusting your slides). Thanks for finding it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

So I've tried the tuning guide and using 1 & 2 or 3 for the G.

1& 2 for upper G seems to be rather sharp for me, while 3 (and 2 surprisingly, then again, I've been using it all my life) gives me more accurate tuning.

Stupid question about turning the 2nd valve slide. Because of how short the valve is, should I really be sliding the slide out a little? My A is rather sharp and I have no idea how else to adjust it without adjusting the main tuning slide.

Also, stupid question, concert A = the A on the bass clef staff, is that correct?

Thank you!

I’m not positive but I don’t think anyone pulls out their 2nd slide. As you say it’s pretty short. I use heavier grease on that slide just to keep it from blowing out. I would just lip down your high A.

Yes, Concert A is A on the bass clef staff.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)