Thread: Advice Between Several Used Horns

1. Advice Between Several Used Horns

Hi there,

I played euphonium throughout middle/high school, and in my college concert band. It was something I enjoyed a lot, but I never owned my own horn because I couldn't afford one. As a result, I haven't played for several years, but I have been wanting to get back to it.

Now that I'm an adult with a job and some money saved up, I recently decided to join a community band, and have been looking around for a horn to buy for the past month or so. At the advice of my former music teachers, I am hesitant to order anything online without being able to try it first, so instead I've been visiting every Denver-area music shop looking for used horns, and scouring the local craigslist postings.

I have it narrowed down to a couple options, all of which I think sound fine, and will work for my purposes (non-professional, but a bit beyond beginning player). At this point, I would love some advice from people who know more euphonium/baritone makes and models, to see if there are any specific pros & cons to the following models, all of which are comparably priced and within my budget:

Jupiter CEB-460
    Jupiter JBR 462 U
    Jupiter JUR 402 (this one is $200 cheaper than the others)
    Gerzen 570 (this was my favorite of all the horns I've tried out in terms of sound, so I've been renting this one to practice on/play in the community band while I continue looking for one to buy).

Thanks for any advice anyone has on how to decide between these options--or if I should just keep holding out for a diamond in the rough to show up on the local craigslist.

Joel

You'd be far ahead to get a Wessex Dolce for $1300. US and UK stores, great warranty, a lot of happy owners.

A much superior euph, but not a baritone.

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...12238594441273

Dennis

Hi Joel and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Dennis. The Wessex would provide you with an excellent horn at a good price and one which you wouldn't grow out of too soon. The Getzen horn is pretty much a student model. The Jupiter model horns you listed are really small bore baritones.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I agree with Dennis and Rick. I just took delivery of a Dolce two weeks ago, and it is yummy!
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)