Thread: Eastman EEP421

Eastman EEP421

Hi,

First, I haven't played since high school, my 25th reunion is next year... so, it's been a while.

Long story short, I'm picking it back up for a number of reasons, and I've been looking at Euphs on Ebay for a few months.

Well, my wife went out and bought me one today. The titular Eastman EEP421. I know it's a student model, but if I'm being honest, I haven't played in 25 years, so that's probably about my speed.

I found a review on here for the Eastman 426, and it was positive, I haven't seen any mention of the 421. I'm hoping that my wife got lucky and the guy at the music store she bought it from knew what he was doing when he stocked it.

So, what's the general consensus on this horn?

I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm at work currently, my son sent me a picture of the horn.

For those wondering, my youngest is a senior this year, so I'm picking it back up as an empty nest hobby, and I also had bells palsy last year, so I'm also using it as a means to strengthen my facial muscles.

Also, this was never an issue back in school.... do I need to shave my moustache?

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to playing Dan.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the Eastman horn. I have a couple of friends who had bouts with Bells Palsy. That can be pretty tough. One got over it in time and was able to get back to playing his horn. The other guy had to switch to another instrument - a bass clarinet. Good luck with getting back to music.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Well, my ambiture needs work, and I need to find my old mouthpiece rather then the 12c it came with. It was easy to tune, the slides all move well. My first impression was the the valves don't spring back as easily or quickly as I'd like.

I did have a hard time hitting any high notes, we'll see if that comes back with practice. But, I think that's my bells palsy issue, nothing to do with the horn.

The 12C is a terrible mpc for euph since it is too small. Try to get at least a 6.5AL or Schilke 51D. A Wick 4AL is a very popular piece for euph, but might be too large for someone just getting back to playing. Playing a lot of long tones is good way to build up your embouchure. It would be a good idea to clean out the horn with warm soapy water to help with valve action. A new horn can have crud like ‘lapping compound’ still in it.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I have a 6.5 AL still from high school, I just need to find it.

I'm getting a humming/rattling sound when I play. I've searched the horn top to bottom and I don't see anything physical. I'm wondering if I may need to trim the moustache. I was reading a thread on here about facial hair, and the consensus seems to be it depends on the player.

Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate it, and I will give the horn a cleaning. I did notice some gunk when I was oiling the valves.

Doubt it’s your mustache. If the Eastman has a lyre mount make sure the screw is tight. If not that, sometimes a rattle or buzzing sound can be caused by one of the valve springs not seated properly or is crooked and touching its casing.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)