Thread: Euph mouthpiece comparison

1. Euph mouthpiece comparison

Conn 5g vs Schilke 51d vs Bach 5g vs DEG bb1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeflight14 View Post
    The BB1 is a tweaked 51D. The diameter on both is similar, and slightly smaller than the 5G, if I remember correctly. I have heard that Conn 5G dimensions were not so consistent from year to year, but I don't know if you're talking about new Conn or a vintage one.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Have you tried any or all of these mouthpieces? That's the only way to know how well they work for you.

For what it's worth, more euphonium players today probably use a Schilke 51D more than any of the others you listed. The BB1 is quite similar to the 51D. Bach 5G is not particularly popular among pro and college players, but many high-school students use them with great success (I did for quite some time). I do not personally know of any players, euphonium or trombone, than use a Conn mouthpiece.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

4. I have a Schilke 51d and a BB1. They play and sound very similar, but I find the Schilke much more comfortable.....the inner rim of the BB1 feels sharper and I find it a bit more taxing in terms of endurance. Every time I get the BB1 out to play around with, I end up going back to the Schilke.

I personally havent tried a Bach 5g, but I play with a guy who uses one on a Willson and gets a nice tone. I do own a King/UMI 5g and quite like it and can get a nice euph tone like on my Schilke, but the King/UMI seems to have a larger backbore and deeper cup than other brand 5g....don’t know if the Conn is the same as the King/UMI (same parent company).
    Last edited by EuphGuy; 07-10-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeflight14 View Post
    The BB1 is slightly deeper and less "U"-shaped than the 51d and has a more open backbore. The rim is much sharper than the 51d, and feels less comfortable. The rim also feels smaller than the 51d, even though it is supposed to be larger. Regarding sound, I find the BB1 to be more "open" and have more "presence", but it lacks that sweet, velvety 51d sound.

6. I play a Wick 4AL on euph, but use the Bach 5G on English baritone or my older Conn Connsetallation 24I American baritone.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band