Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mouthpiece am I describing

1. What mouthpiece am I describing

Ive been playing on my schilke 51d for 3 years now and im still having issues with high notes and response... in comparison to the 51d what mouthpiece am I describing:

Wide rim, large shallow cup, and a small throat

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeflight14 View Post
    Ive been playing on my schilke 51d for 3 years now and im still having issues with high notes and response... in comparison to the 51d what mouthpiece am I describing:

Wide rim, large shallow cup, and a small throat
    You may like something in the Steve Mead Ultra X line. The 4X has a rim about 1.02 inches and the 51D is about 1 inch (if I remember correctly). The SM6U has a rim diameter closer to 1 inch, but I don't believe it has the small throat you want. Alternatively, you can try assembling a mouthpiece to your specifications from components like Doug Elliott offers. He has a rim LT S51D, which is a copy of the 51D rim, and you can choose the cup and shank you like.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

3. Could you link me to one, i dont want to buy the wrong one

4. Could you link me to one, im having a little bit of trouble

Well, here is a link to the Mead Ultra 4x

https://www.amazon.com/Denis-Wick-DW...dp/B00O1X2316/

That's assuming your horn uses a large shank.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Do you know a website or where I could get it with the rim and cup hold played for my nickel allergy?

The link I gave you is for a mouthpiece that is silver plated. Are you OK playing on silver?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I would look at trombone mouthpieces for a shallow cup and a small throat.

9. Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    You may like something in the Steve Mead Ultra X line. The 4X has a rim about 1.02 inches and the 51D is about 1 inch (if I remember correctly). The SM6U has a rim diameter closer to 1 inch, but I don't believe it has the small throat you want. Alternatively, you can try assembling a mouthpiece to your specifications from components like Doug Elliott offers. He has a rim LT S51D, which is a copy of the 51D rim, and you can choose the cup and shank you like.
    Yes, the SM6 Ultra does have a smaller throat than the other SM mouthpieces. That's what I use for the same reasons as the OP states.
    https://www.deniswick.com/product/st...silver-plated/
    Last edited by iiipopes; 07-06-2018 at 08:51 AM.

The SM4X is a good choice. It's shallower than the similar SM4U but allows for a lot of good response and flexibility.

How old are you and how much experience do you have? I ask because the 51D has been the gold standard concert band euphonium mouthpiece for many years. I can't recall many complaints about range issues with it. But then again mouthpieces are a very personal choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast