Thread: Schilke 510 - loosely fitting

1. Schilke 510 - loosely fitting

Hi - I'm a mom of a 13-year old euphonium player and my son has a different euphonium lent from the school this summer than the one he has been playing. He hadn't played this euphonium until today and just discovered that the mouthpiece sits loosely. His mouthpiece is a Schilke 510. Do we need to buy a new mouthpiece for this euphonium or is there something else we can do?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You probably mean 51D mouthpiece. It sounds like your son had a horn that took a small shank mouthpiece. There are 3 different sizes. Small, Medium (or Euro size), and Large (or bass trombone) size. Do you know the model of the horn he's using from school? There are adapters available to allow you to use a small shank mouthpiece in either medium or large shank receiver. You'd need to know which size he needs first.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

You probably mean 51D mouthpiece. It sounds like your son had a horn that took a small shank mouthpiece. There are 3 different sizes. Small, Medium (or Euro size), and Large (or bass trombone) size. Do you know the model of the horn he's using from school? There are adapters available to allow you to use a small shank mouthpiece in either medium or large shank receiver. You'd need to know which size he needs first.
    It's a Yamaha - but I'm not seeing a model number - just the Yamaha on the actual horn and on the case it says Yamaha Neo.

If your son is now playing the Yamaha Neo, then that’s an excellent horn and takes a large shank mpc. For the time being you could get an adapter I mentioned above (see example link below). He would need a ‘tenor to large’ size adapter. This will suffice for a while, but it would be better for him to get a large shank mpc. If he likes the Schilke 51D they have them in large shank.

Tenor to bass trombone adapter:
    https://www.amazon.com/Selmer-S380-T.../dp/B0002DURPI
    Last edited by RickF; 07-15-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Thank you!