Thread: Sterling Virtuoso anomalies

Sterling Virtuoso anomalies

Okay, so I just bought a used Sterling Virtuoso. Looks absolutely brand new and only got it for $6,000. Playing it, I think it sounds fine, I suppose, but the valve action is really not great, and the whole thing just feels a little... weird and oddly cheapish. I figured I was just crazy, but then I noticed that the Serial Number is on the back of the second valve. However, all the reports I've heard say that Sterling serial numbers are on the bell and begin with 1065. Mine begins with a 2. However, the front of the bell is stamped with the signature Sterling Virtuoso with the "Made in Great Britain."
    Would anyone be able to shed some light on these anomalies? Am I just going crazy, or have I been duped?

Quote Originally Posted by HDSQRD View Post
    Okay, so I just bought a used Sterling Virtuoso. Looks absolutely brand new and only got it for $6,000. Playing it, I think it sounds fine, I suppose, but the valve action is really not great, and the whole thing just feels a little... weird and oddly cheapish. I figured I was just crazy, but then I noticed that the Serial Number is on the back of the second valve. However, all the reports I've heard say that Sterling serial numbers are on the bell and begin with 1065. Mine begins with a 2. However, the front of the bell is stamped with the signature Sterling Virtuoso with the "Made in Great Britain."
    Would anyone be able to shed some light on these anomalies? Am I just going crazy, or have I been duped?
    Its been a while since I sold my Sterling, but I believe the serial number was not on the bell proper, but on the bell stack near the ferrule where the stack joins the bottom bow. The numbers on the valve cluster was a valve Manufacturer's marking.

As for for the action, I found those valves to be very susceptible to dirt In the knuckles. If kept clean the Sterling had some of the best action I remember.

Don Winston

Yes, the serial number on my Sterling Virtuoso also begins with 1065, and is located as described above by Don. I likewise have a separate number on the second valve casing. I haven't had any problems with the valves so far (I've had it for a year and am, I think, the third owner) and the instrument seems well built.

Just curious... Aside from the valve action, what about your Sterling strikes you as weird and cheap compared to other horns you've played?

I would think a good cleaning might be in order as Don alluded to. Valves not being clean can cause problems.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. The number on the valves is NOT the serial number of the horn. The serial number is on the bell just above the collar connecting the bell with the bottom bow.The serial number will be something like 1065HGS-xxxxxx where 1065 is the model # denoting euphonium, HGS describe options (Heavy bell, Silver with or without Gold trim, etc,).

I also agree about cleaning. The horns come with very tight valve tolderances from the factory and also tend to have construction grime from the soldering and buffing inside the tubing. A good cleaning with Herco Spit Balls something like a QHR (Quick Horn Rinse) does wonders. Follow up that by thorough drying. If the horn had been played quite a bit, calcium deposits on the pistons will tend to cause some binding. There are different approaches to getting rid of scale and plaque on the pistons. If you are uncomfortable doing that kind of work, contact a technician.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. I LOVED my Virtuoso and still love hearing people play them. A truly gorgeous sound.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

7. Martin,

I have had my Virtuoso for 10 years now. It is better than new since I have gotten valves and trigger working perfectly. It still is my "go to" horn. HOWEVER, about 2 months ago, I fell and broke my right hand (middle and ring fingers). The weight of the horn and long valve action vs. my Adams prototype mean that I have been playing my Adams much more recently. I look forward to getting my hand back in shape so that I can enjoy that sound you refer to.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

8. It is not just cleaning. If it has been neglected, the felts and corks on the valves may need attention to renew them and make sure the valves are aligned to the ports. Just like a luxury automobile, if it does not have the proper periodic maintenance, it will run even worse than an inexpensive automobile.