Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap Euphonium - Besson clone or Yamaha clone?

1. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I'm hearing a new motto for Wessex Euphoniums. "Upgrade to a Wessex Dolce, 4-valve, compensating euphonium and suck no more!" Jonathan might not agree, but I think it is kind of catchy.
    It brings a smile to my face, but not sure if I will actually use

As far as different sounds, the biggest determining factor is the bell. The tubing design affects how freely the horn plays and intonation, but not so much the tone.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    It brings a smile to my face, but not sure if I will actually use

As far as different sounds, the biggest determining factor is the bell. The tubing design affects how freely the horn plays and intonation, but not so much the tone.
    Good motto! haha

Thanks, Jonathan. And thanks to the internet that brings me to interact with great musicians and instrument builders.

I would agree that the biggest determining factor of different sounds is the bell. But obviously, bells with similar diameter, let say Besson 968 and Willson 2900 are both 11", sound quite different.

So can you tell us about the secret of the bell? What are the factors that make the bell affecting the sound? What is the physic behind? And what is the characteristic of the Wessex euphonium bell?
    Yamaha 642S Neo
    Romera brass PEPE signature MPC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12