Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown Euphonium Brand

Good observations, Barry. Since I was involved with Sterling starting around 1989, I can comment on some of the legacy stuff.

You're correct that the slide-end reinforcing rings were used for a while. Paul and I discussed these. I liked their looks, and Paul thought the horn looked cleaner without them (and was easier to make). So some Sterling had them in those days. As far as I know, the Virtuoso model never did.

I'm not sure exactly when Paul began to use Bauerfind valves (I believe he has switched to a different valve now). But in the early days, Paul's folks made the valves by hand. I watched a set being made on the workbench, and it was the first time I saw how complex the task was! Also, in those days the stainless steel valves used a round nylon valve guide instead of the rectangular shape that is almost universally used. I actually liked that idea!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks to the guys at John Packer I was able to contact Paul Riggett. He confirmed that they used that Logo until 1991. He didn't mention anything else about the Instrument.
    Maybe there were some parts replaced in all these years, but at least it seems to be an original Euphonium made in Great Britain.

I'm going to buy it So exciting!

Thanks for closing the loop. This turned out to be a remarkably challenging question! I must have played one or more of those early horns, because I switched to Sterling in 1990. Sure don't remember the logo, though! And the brochures I was given (which, at the time, had a complete range of brass instruments) showed only the block text with no graphic.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12