X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dadoffive
    • Jun 2018

What year...suggested value?

Please excuse my being a novice in the instrument world.
    My parents bought me a Conn Constellation, 4-valve baritone, when I was 13 years old...in 1975.
    They purchased it from a professional player...who also was hired to give me a few lessons. (I started playing when I was 10)
    I played through High School (1980)...but have only played it once since then...at a "Tuba Christmas" with my nephew in about 2000.
    I have kept the valves oiled...and it is in beautiful condition in my opinion.
    My question is this:
    The serial number I find on it is M71679. I am trying to determine the actual manufacture date...and a rough idea on value.
    It is time for it to go to a good home...where someone will play and enjoy it.
    ANY thoughts would be much appreciated!
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

According to this thread in the Reference section of the forum, the horn was made in 1969:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread.php/19733-Conn

As far as value, there is what a horn is "worth" in one sense and what it will "sell for" in a different sense. In my own value graph the horn, if it is in really nice shape, it "worth" about $2k. But it would probably max out around $1000-$1200 for a selling price. That is getting into the area of good Chinese 4-valve compensating horns, which would be a better choice for someone going into college, for example. This is a horn that needs to find an appreciative buyer. I personally would love to have one, but I simply don't have room to store it. The Connstellation was a really fine horn in the American mold.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Dadoffive
      • Jun 2018

Thank you for the welcome Dave...and for the insight!
      I did not scroll down enough on the serial number list...if I had been more patient...I would seen the "m" designation on the list.
      Your information was very helpful...and should help me at least get started in selling my old baby!
      Thanks again Dave!!

Comment

• Dadoffive
        • Jun 2018

My old Conn Euphonium / Baritone...

Dave,

I finally got around to taking some pictures, and posted an ad on our local Craigslist.
        My guess is that Craigslist is not the place to find someone who will appreciate this horn.
        I have attached a link to the ad...if you would be willing to take a look?
        Am I out of line?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...712993985.html

I know this is not really worth your time to respond...but I thought I would at least ask.

Scott

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        Hi, and welcome to the forum!

According to this thread in the Reference section of the forum, the horn was made in 1969:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread.php/19733-Conn

As far as value, there is what a horn is "worth" in one sense and what it will "sell for" in a different sense. In my own value graph the horn, if it is in really nice shape, it "worth" about $2k. But it would probably max out around $1000-$1200 for a selling price. That is getting into the area of good Chinese 4-valve compensating horns, which would be a better choice for someone going into college, for example. This is a horn that needs to find an appreciative buyer. I personally would love to have one, but I simply don't have room to store it. The Connstellation was a really fine horn in the American mold.

Comment

• daruby
          • Apr 2006

Scott,

I will respond. I also am an owner of a Conn 24i Connstellation, a one year older "L" series horn. Mine is in "almost" as good a condition as yours but shows just a bit more wear on the outer branch. I have a gold and silver plated version of the same mouthpiece, and while I have a mouthpiece adapter, I do not have the original one. My case shows slightly more wear and I am missing the knurled locknut for the tuning slide. I do have a well used 25i bell and case for the "straight bell" version. I played a similar horn from 1965 to 1971 through HS and Junior College. Unfortunatly, my horn only gets used at Tuba Christmas.

Your horn is indeed beautiful and your price should put it in the "it will sell" category. I would suggest working with Dave to put a "Horn for Sale" listing on this site and cross link your Craiglist ad there. Also consider posting it on the Tuba/Euphonium for sale Facebook page.
          Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
          Concord Band
          Winchendon Winds
          Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Dadoffive
            • Jun 2018

Mr. Ruby,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond, and value your opinion greatly!
            I will reach out to Dave about getting a listing on this site, as I am not sure how exactly to do that.
            Again, Thank You...and may the Lord Bless you in a mighty way today!

Scott

Originally posted by daruby View Post
            Scott,

I will respond. I also am an owner of a Conn 24i Connstellation, a one year older "L" series horn. Mine is in "almost" as good a condition as yours but shows just a bit more wear on the outer branch. I have a gold and silver plated version of the same mouthpiece, and while I have a mouthpiece adapter, I do not have the original one. My case shows slightly more wear and I am missing the knurled locknut for the tuning slide. I do have a well used 25i bell and case for the "straight bell" version. I played a similar horn from 1965 to 1971 through HS and Junior College. Unfortunatly, my horn only gets used at Tuba Christmas.

Your horn is indeed beautiful and your price should put it in the "it will sell" category. I would suggest working with Dave to put a "Horn for Sale" listing on this site and cross link your Craiglist ad there. Also consider posting it on the Tuba/Euphonium for sale Facebook page.

Comment

Working...
            X