Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Adams E3 configurations?

Hey Dave, thanks for the plug! This horn is straight up yellow brass with silver plating. Nothing fancy at all, except for the fact that Miel sent it with the heavy valve caps and buttons with a nice textured wooden finger button inlay that looks and feels great. There’s also the “standard” light weight caps and buttons that they included, but I’ll likely leave it as is. So far at least, it is proving to be the best euphonium I have ever played by a long shot in literally every way.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Instrument sounds great, but that performance is really special, Brandon! Bravo!!
    --
    Barry

Hey Barry, that’s very kind of you to say! Thanks! That entire recital went really well (Turrin Concert Piece No 1, Steve’s Euphonium Fantasia, Snell 4 Bagatelles, Cosma Concerto, then Picchi). The horn certainly made a difference in a lot of areas. You’re more than welcome to play it Sunday at Strathmore. It’s a special horn I think.
    Brandon Jones
    bmjones82@gmail.com

See you there. I'll bring my .60 yellow brass E3 with heavy buttons but standard weight caps and no AGR to compare.
    --
    Barry

5. Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJones View Post
    Hey Dave, thanks for the plug! This horn is straight up yellow brass with silver plating. Nothing fancy at all, except for the fact that Miel sent it with the heavy valve caps and buttons with a nice textured wooden finger button inlay that looks and feels great. There’s also the “standard” light weight caps and buttons that they included, but I’ll likely leave it as is. So far at least, it is proving to be the best euphonium I have ever played by a long shot in literally every way.
    Pictures or it didn't happen lol....

6. Congratulations on the new horn, the performance was amazing!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Great performance, Brandon. And nice horn. Adams E3's are really nice horns, I love mine, but it is today still at Lee Stofer's shop in Iowa awaiting some minor stuff. Please hurry back!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJones View Post
    Hi Brandon. Is there a reason you decided against the SS bell?

Hi Brandon, congrats about your new E3!

Can you tell us which aspects of your new yellow brass unit you prefer over your earlier Sterling Silver E3?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Sure, I’d be happy to. The thicker gauge yellow brass has a bit more “zing” to it and more “presence” perhaps versus the sterling silver. Sterling silver to me had a great “sparkle” at big dynamics, particularly in the upper register. However, I found that the middle of the horn sounded somewhat “covered” at softer dynamics, therefore I had to push a bit more to get it to project through. It would just often get lost. It still feels great and is a good material to use, for those that are interested in it. It’s hard to beat yellow brass in a thicker gauge for euphonium playing, in my opinion. I will say that thinner gauge (.50, .55, and even .60) yellow brass does not resonate (pun) well with me. It needs to be .70 or thicker. This particular E3 is .70 all yellow brass and silver plated. I believe there is some truth to the sound being a bit different on euphonium with silver plating as well, versus the non-plated finishes. There is so much material on a euphonium versus a trumpet, for example, that you can really tell and feel a difference. Euphonium is already a super dark conical instrument. I feel some try to make it “too dark” and lose the singing vocal quality of the horn. Thicker gauge yellow brass on this E3 has a HUGE sound that is resonant, full, vibrant... but still has core and “zest” to it. Hope that helps!
    Brandon Jones
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast