Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adams E3 configurations?

Hi cochranme, what have you found to be the limitations of the Sterling bell on E1?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

2. Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi cochranme, what have you found to be the limitations of the Sterling bell on E1?

Regards, Guido
    hey Guido,

it’s a really lovely combination and would be fine for a majority of Euphoniumists. I had some issues with projection in the very full dynamic ranges, specifically symphonic work and solo work with large ensembles. I’ve heard that these issues don’t exist in the .7 and .8 bell m
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

I've found the opposite to be true for me. I have tried a gold brass bell and felt it too "fuzzy" and maybe "too warm" for euphonium, which can be a real thing particularly in regards to projection/solo work. For me, the sterling silver gets very "sparkly" and "zingy" when I push it dynamically. I find I have to worry more about softs projecting. Also, unless something has changed, the .60 is the thickest gauge they can make on the E3 configuration.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJones View Post
    I've found the opposite to be true for me. I have tried a gold brass bell and felt it too "fuzzy" and maybe "too warm" for euphonium, which can be a real thing particularly in regards to projection/solo work. For me, the sterling silver gets very "sparkly" and "zingy" when I push it dynamically. I find I have to worry more about softs projecting. Also, unless something has changed, the .60 is the thickest gauge they can make on the E3 configuration.
    See -- that's EXACTLY how I feel about them, which I tried to articulate previously and nobody agreed with me! Maybe my language wasn't this precise.

I do kind of dig the red brass, especially if it's not too heavy. That feels more like the sterling to me without the fact that the sterling gets really a really covered (maybe even stuffy) feel at mp and below. I feel like the gold brass alloy kind of gets the worst facets of yellow and red instead of being a happy medium of their good qualities.
    --
    Barry

5. Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJones View Post
    I've found the opposite to be true for me. Also, unless something has changed, the .60 is the thickest gauge they can make on the E3 configuration.
    It is true that 0.60 is the thickest Sterling bell one can get, but I can confirm that I have a 0.70 yellow brass bell on my E3. I think only the E2 goes out at 0.80
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by cochranme View Post
    About to order a new euph, really thinking of going with the E3 in a gold brass bell. I loved my E1 Sterling, but I wanted something slightly heftier. I found there was a limit to what the Sterling bell could handle. What an incredibly responsive instrumentvthough. Felt like a finely tuned sports car.
    Hi Martin.

Can you explain why you would choose the gold bell vs SS?

7. Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Hi Martin.

Can you explain why you would choose the gold bell vs SS?
    I havent fully made my decision yet, kind of interested in the red brass. Honestly the cost is an issue. The sterling option has gotten quite a bit more expensive since I bought my E1 back in 2014
    Last edited by cochranme; 07-21-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

8. Quote Originally Posted by cochranme View Post
    I havent fully made my decision yet, kind of interested in the red brass. Honestly the cost is an issue. The sterling option has gotten quite a bit more expensive since I bought my E1 back in 2014
    Im also leaning toward a red brass bell unless I can swing a copper custom bell

JJ

FWIW, I just had a new E3 sent to me from Miel in yellow brass, silver plated, in the .70 gauge with the stainless steel AGR, and heavy caps/buttons, main slide trigger (which it doesn’t need)... it sounds AMAZING. I got it on Tuesday last week, played it for 45 mins that evening out of the box, flew to Oklahoma State University with it Wednesday morning and gave a recital with it. There’s a video on my Facebook page of the final piece. This might be the very best horn I’ve ever played in my entire life. It is a HUGE sound.
    Last edited by BrandonJones; 03-05-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: adding specifics
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

It sounds great, Brandon! I couldn't see it well enough in the video, so you can you tell me if you "got fancy" for the appearance-side of the horn? Is it straight bright silver or did you do a combination of brushed/bright, or something like that?

For those who are on Facebook, here is Brandon's page. You will find the video posted on 3/2:

https://www.facebook.com/bmjones82
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast