Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeGuilbo
    • Feb 2006

Agreed with keeping the faith on the MP - my E3 did not come with one but I don't lack mouthpieces lol
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• John Morgan
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DutchEupho View Post
      Hi Jake,

For me the Adams E3 is easier to play because I feel it resonates faster (and more). I’d say the sound fills the room easier.
      I did make a mouthpiece switch after getting accustomed to the E3 though. For me the Warburton Demondrae matches the E3 better than the SM3(ultra) I used before.
      I use the Warburton Demondrae on my E3, also. I loved it on the Miraphone M5050 (which came with a silver plated Warburton Demondrae mp), and I then bought a gold plated version that I am using to this day on the E3. Great combination for me. Have tried others and always come back to the Demondrae.
      John Morgan
      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
      Year Round Except Summer:
      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
      Summer Only:
      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• MichaelSchott
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        For example, here is my recording of Ordner Seg from earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CUNn4cpVOs

This is slower than Oystein plays it, but it better matched what was in my mind after I heard Oystein describe the motivation for writing it. He said he woke after a long winter and saw a beautiful sunrise combined with the water and mountains in his view. It put him in a very peaceful mood. But then the worries of the day started to encroach. He finally regained his feeling of peace so he could enjoy the moment.
        Lovely David. Great piece and you make it sound as it should. I love the tone you get on the E3.

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

Hello all, brand new to the forum and to euphs... In a recent email conversation with Arron Hunter at Adams on the subject of copper bells for flugels, Aaron asserted that Adams do have copper sheets, if only in 0.60mm thickness. Adams does not seem to publicize too much the use of copper, probably because pure copper is relatively less malleable and more difficult to work with than brass.... However, at least for flugels, copper bells are available as krypto-options. Thus I am speculating that, unless the much larger bell of the euphonium were a factor against it, a 0.60 copper bell build might perhaps be a non-publicized available option on E3 as well.

Regards, Guido
          M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
          Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
          Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• cochranme
            • Sep 2008

About to order a new euph, really thinking of going with the E3 in a gold brass bell. I loved my E1 Sterling, but I wanted something slightly heftier. I found there was a limit to what the Sterling bell could handle. What an incredibly responsive instrumentvthough. Felt like a finely tuned sports car.
            Martin Cochran
            Adams Performing Artist
            mceuph75@gmail.com

Comment

• guidocorona
              • Jun 2018

Hi cochranme, what have you found to be the limitations of the Sterling bell on E1?

Regards, Guido
              M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
              Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
              Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• cochranme
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by guidocorona View Post
                Hi cochranme, what have you found to be the limitations of the Sterling bell on E1?

Regards, Guido
                hey Guido,

it’s a really lovely combination and would be fine for a majority of Euphoniumists. I had some issues with projection in the very full dynamic ranges, specifically symphonic work and solo work with large ensembles. I’ve heard that these issues don’t exist in the .7 and .8 bell m
                Martin Cochran
                Adams Performing Artist
                mceuph75@gmail.com

Comment

• BrandonJones
                  • Feb 2008

I've found the opposite to be true for me. I have tried a gold brass bell and felt it too "fuzzy" and maybe "too warm" for euphonium, which can be a real thing particularly in regards to projection/solo work. For me, the sterling silver gets very "sparkly" and "zingy" when I push it dynamically. I find I have to worry more about softs projecting. Also, unless something has changed, the .60 is the thickest gauge they can make on the E3 configuration.
                  Brandon Jones
                  Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
                  bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• bbocaner
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by BrandonJones View Post
                    I've found the opposite to be true for me. I have tried a gold brass bell and felt it too "fuzzy" and maybe "too warm" for euphonium, which can be a real thing particularly in regards to projection/solo work. For me, the sterling silver gets very "sparkly" and "zingy" when I push it dynamically. I find I have to worry more about softs projecting. Also, unless something has changed, the .60 is the thickest gauge they can make on the E3 configuration.
                    See -- that's EXACTLY how I feel about them, which I tried to articulate previously and nobody agreed with me! Maybe my language wasn't this precise.

I do kind of dig the red brass, especially if it's not too heavy. That feels more like the sterling to me without the fact that the sterling gets really a really covered (maybe even stuffy) feel at mp and below. I feel like the gold brass alloy kind of gets the worst facets of yellow and red instead of being a happy medium of their good qualities.
                    --
                    Barry

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by BrandonJones View Post
                      I've found the opposite to be true for me. Also, unless something has changed, the .60 is the thickest gauge they can make on the E3 configuration.
                      It is true that 0.60 is the thickest Sterling bell one can get, but I can confirm that I have a 0.70 yellow brass bell on my E3. I think only the E2 goes out at 0.80
                      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by cochranme View Post
                        About to order a new euph, really thinking of going with the E3 in a gold brass bell. I loved my E1 Sterling, but I wanted something slightly heftier. I found there was a limit to what the Sterling bell could handle. What an incredibly responsive instrumentvthough. Felt like a finely tuned sports car.
                        Hi Martin.

Can you explain why you would choose the gold bell vs SS?

Comment

• cochranme
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
                          Hi Martin.

Can you explain why you would choose the gold bell vs SS?
                          I havent fully made my decision yet, kind of interested in the red brass. Honestly the cost is an issue. The sterling option has gotten quite a bit more expensive since I bought my E1 back in 2014
                          Last edited by cochranme; 07-21-2018, 02:25 PM.
                          Martin Cochran
                          Adams Performing Artist
                          mceuph75@gmail.com

Comment

• AwesomeDad
                            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by cochranme View Post
                            I havent fully made my decision yet, kind of interested in the red brass. Honestly the cost is an issue. The sterling option has gotten quite a bit more expensive since I bought my E1 back in 2014
                            Im also leaning toward a red brass bell unless I can swing a copper custom bell

JJ
                            Miraphone 289
                            Adams F5
                            Kanstul 991 Custom
                            Always room for more....

Comment

• BrandonJones
                              • Feb 2008

FWIW, I just had a new E3 sent to me from Miel in yellow brass, silver plated, in the .70 gauge with the stainless steel AGR, and heavy caps/buttons, main slide trigger (which it doesn’t need)... it sounds AMAZING. I got it on Tuesday last week, played it for 45 mins that evening out of the box, flew to Oklahoma State University with it Wednesday morning and gave a recital with it. There’s a video on my Facebook page of the final piece. This might be the very best horn I’ve ever played in my entire life. It is a HUGE sound.
                              Last edited by BrandonJones; 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM. Reason: adding specifics
                              Brandon Jones
                              Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
                              bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• davewerden
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2005

It sounds great, Brandon! I couldn't see it well enough in the video, so you can you tell me if you "got fancy" for the appearance-side of the horn? Is it straight bright silver or did you do a combination of brushed/bright, or something like that?

For those who are on Facebook, here is Brandon's page. You will find the video posted on 3/2:

https://www.facebook.com/bmjones82
                                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                                YouTube: dwerden
                                Facebook: davewerden
                                Twitter: davewerden
                                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                                X