Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F. Besson " Prototype" euphonium

F. Besson " Prototype" euphonium

I recently got a Besson Prototype 5 valve saxhorn/euphonium as a gift. The serial number is 50496 on the 1st valve, which upon a serial check lists it as built in 1892. I believe it to be a first generation euphonium but it seems to appear more like a modern saxhorn, as it doesn't have the bell flare a euphonium has and also, the lead pipe goes into the valve casing more like a modern saxhorn.

The horn is in pretty decent shape with some dings and dents but it plays very stuffy. So much so that that I have had to use a lot of 4th and 5th valve combination for notes to speak well. I realize this is a non-compensating horn, so that attributes to part of having to use the 4th and 5th so much to center notes.

My question is, does anyone have a fingering chart for it or have much information on it?

Thanks!

2. Pix?

Welcome to the forum! The photos requested above might help with our members know how to answer.

But can you tell us how 4 and 5 are tuned? How far does each valve (alone) lower the pitch of the open horn from Bb?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	6069

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	6070

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	6071

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	6072

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	6073

Thanks, David.

4th is in F for sure.
    When playing just the 5th after playing the 4th, it seems to be E-flat but is quite sharp. The 5th tuning slide is not very long, maybe 1.5 inches long. I can play a pedal A-flat with only 5th. To me, it seems E-flat.
    Last edited by nbgrif; 05-27-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Welcome to the forum! The photos requested above might help with our members know how to answer.

But can you tell us how 4 and 5 are tuned? How far does each valve (alone) lower the pitch of the open horn from Bb?
    I repled above. First time user error. Sorry about that.

One of our tuba players may have a solid answer, because they often deal with 5 valves and no compensating system.

I suspect your 5th valve is dependent (only used along with the 4th). In a non-comp system, 134 does not produce an in-tune low C as would be instinctive. Perhaps on yours, 1345 would do so???
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I suspect your 5th valve is dependent (only used along with the 4th). In a non-comp system, 134 does not produce an in-tune low C as would be instinctive. Perhaps on yours, 1345 would do so???
    You are correct. It plays the low C with 1345. However, some notes like B-flat 4th partial doesn't speak well at all with no valves. Instead, 1-5 make it speak much better. The B natural above it is good with 2-5. C above it with 4th. And so on. It's a great novelty. I have given it a thorough bath and cleaning. I'm just not sure what the "Protoype" name implies. Perhaps this was the "Soverign," "Imperial," or "Prestige" of its time.

10. Quote Originally Posted by run76 View Post
    That's for a C horn. If I pretend I am playing treble clef notes by name, some of the notes work but most don't according to this fingering chart. I appreciate the effort, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast