X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoMiklas
    • Jul 2010

C Euphoniums

Any thoughts on the Bb/C (or C/Bb) Euphoniums on eBay?

I play a CC tuba, and am looking at one of these Euphoniums for Bydlo and other places where a pit orchestra book has the tuba doubling on Euphonium or Baritone.

Thanks,
    George
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Can you post an eBay link as an example?

I would suggest that ALL the top-rated horns, at any price level, are in the natural key of Bb.

HOWEVER, confusion can arise because of our sheet music. If you pick up my horn and play bass clef music, you will play in concert pitch. A written C will come out as a C from the horn. But if you are playing a Bb treble part (99% of them are in Bb), you would play a written C open, and it would come out of the horn as a Bb.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iiipopes
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by davewerden View Post

I would suggest that ALL the top-rated horns, at any price level, are in the natural key of Bb.

HOWEVER, confusion can arise because of our sheet music. If you pick up my horn and play bass clef music, you will play in concert pitch. A written C will come out as a C from the horn. But if you are playing a Bb treble part (99% of them are in Bb), you would play a written C open, and it would come out of the horn as a Bb.
      What Dave said. There is great confusion about what a "C" instrument is, and what playing in "concert pitch" is, as opposed to transposed notation pitch and what each is all about. Dave summed it up succinctly.

Bottom line: there are no reputable C euphoniums as there are CC tubas. If you want to play euph, and a reputable instrument at that, you will have to purchase a Bb euph, and re-learn Bb fingerings, just as you used to do in school on BBb school instruments.

Comment

• GeoMiklas
        • Jul 2010

eBay Link

HOWEVER, confusion can arise because of our sheet music.
        Dave, I own a Bb Euphonium, I used to play both concert pitch bass clef and transposing treble clef baritone music. There is no confusion on my part, I know the difference.

Originally posted by iiipopes View Post
        Bottom line: there are no reputable C euphoniums as there are CC tubas. If you want to play euph, and a reputable instrument at that, you will have to purchase a Bb euph, and re-learn Bb fingerings, just as you used to do in school on BBb school instruments.
        My issue is to switch between a CC tuba and Bb Euphonium in the middle of a song, then take the chance at "blowing" the next note because my brain didn't shift from C to Bb fingerings. Now if these show books used concert pitch bass clef tuba and transposing treble clef baritone, I would be able to make the jump with ease.

Comment

• GeoMiklas
          • Jul 2010

So is there anybody custom cutting a reputable Bb euphonium to produce a C euphoninum?

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by GeoMiklas View Post
            So is there anybody custom cutting a reputable Bb euphonium to produce a C euphoninum?
            Not that I have ever heard of, and for good reason.

You would need to take away about 12" of length. Look at the first valve slide. That's how much length you have to take out.

Now, what makes a euphonium a euphonium is that its tubing tapers from beginning to end, except for the valve section and the tuning slide legs. The main tuning slide is already very short on the 4th valve side - taking any length from that is not advisable if you want to adjust your tuning, and in any case you'd only pick up maybe 1.5-2". So 10" more to go.

If you take 10" out of the large tube after the tuning slide (the piece that loops above the valve), your first problem would be its shorter length might crowd your valve hand a bit. But the larger problem is that you would have to figure a way to re-taper that whole tube. If that were done perfectly (at great cost) it would greatly change the pace of increase of the overall horn taper.

I think you can get used to the change from CC to Bb. I just finished a church gig where the trumpet player changed horns for each movement of a 3-movement suite. Started with piccolo trumpet in A, then trumpet in C, then picc in A again.

Or you could change to BBb tuba
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by GeoMiklas View Post
              I don't recall anyone talking about having played a horn like that. The Chinese clones have made good progress because they copy proven designs, and they have gotten pretty good at it. But I'm not sure what horn would have been used as the model for this one.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• adrian_quince
                • Mar 2015

Regarding the switch from CC tuba to Euphonium in bass clef, really the only solution is to practice the switch a bunch at home. I've played several brass quintet concerts jumping between Bb, C, Eb, and Piccolo trumpet. Even though the fingerings are the same, it still took practice to have pitch security on the different instruments.
                Adrian L. Quince
                Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
                www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• bbocaner
                  • May 2009

I think Wessex used to sell those, they called them the "bydlo" model -- and stopped because they just didn't play well or in tune at all. It's really hard on a conical instrument to make an instrument that plays satisfactorily in two different keys. It doesn't even work well on trumpets, actually. It's really not difficult with a little practice to get a second set of fingerings under your belt. Alternatively, you could try the wessex french tuba in C, which is EXACTLY the right thing for Bydlo -- but if you're playing musicals that double on euphonium it's not going to be exactly the euphonium sound.
                  --
                  Barry

Comment

• highpitch
                    • Mar 2006

That Chinese horn is cute, but for less than $900 I'd say it's a turd.

Dennis

Comment

• 58mark
                      • Feb 2013

I had one of those for a week. Everything bad they say about them is true

Comment

• Sara Hood
                        • Mar 2017

Just to be clear

Just to be clear, did the problem sound characteristics have anything to do with the rotary valves or the way the horn was wrapped/constructed? I have been wondering about the rotary euphoniums I have been seeing, mostly on Ebay. Never in an actual music store. To my eye, this instrument looks like a lot of other JinBao horns. I would feel more comfortable with someone else actually saying so.
                        - Sara
                        Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

• 58mark
                          • Feb 2013

nothing wrong with a good rotary euph, it's the taper and intonation of this one that is out of whack

Comment

• highpitch
                            • Mar 2006

At best used as a solo horn. Essentially that would be an orphan, gathering dust between uses.

In a section with other euphs, usually Blaikley pattern compensators, the partials never line up with rotor euphs.

Been there, tried that, several different examples.

As Dave said, learn to work a good Bb horn.

DDG

Comment

• ghmerrill
                              • Dec 2011

Didn't we have a thread here a while ago involving someone in Portugal who turned out in fact to be playing a C euphonium? http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...C#.WwcUwUgvyUk.

Some are also mentioned here: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...tone-Euphonium.

In any event, it is almost certainly easier/quicker/cheaper to just get a standard (Bb) euphonium and learn the fingerings -- isn't it?
                              Gary Merrill
                              Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                              Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                              Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                              1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                              Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                              1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

Working...
                              X