Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: John Packer 274 - Thoughts?

I hadn't got around to posting a review on the horn. I've played tuba for over 40 years and left the Army in the 90s. I have about 15 years of professional playing experience and am very much an amateur now. I am a "good" player, not a "great" player but I do know what to look for on an instrument. I found a couple of notes that I had to account for. (2d valve "A" and "E" (bass clef) that were slightly flat but were very manageable. Every horn has something that you have to account for/adjust for/be aware of. I found the horn to play very well and considered overall intonation to be very good. Horns can vary from horn to horn as well. In full disclosure I did send it back as I have decided to go a different direction and up the $s a bit after I can actually play a physical example of a couple of horns I'm interested in. The 274 was well packed, the finish was flawless and comes in a very nice case. I own an open wrap tenor trombone from JP and it was also well packed and beautiful right out of the box. I've had it for over a year and its a great horn. I would have no reservation making a high recommendation for either the JP274 or a Mack/Wessex/ Euph. They are fine instruments. Some of us are old enough to remember not having so many choices at various price points. Its a great time to be a brass player! I definitely would recommend be fully "warmed up" before making any decisions about the intonation. I find it best to play an etude and "stop" on a certain note then check the tuner. Also, you need to fill the horn to fully evaluate. Dynamics are important as well. If you are overblowing/underblowing that will give a false reading. I wish you the best with your new horns!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Hello Davidus1, which eupho did you opt for instead of keeping JP274?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Davidus1, which eupho did you opt for instead of keeping JP274?

Regards, Guido
    I haven't yet. Not until I can do a play test. Wanting to try both the Wessex Sinfonico and also a Yamaha NEO.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

4. I'd love for a more experienced player to try it out, but sadly noone feels very keen on doing that for the moment, all bout Corona and all that.

I don't think the temperature outdoors/indoors should be affecting the horn right now. Summers in Sweden aren't that great, so the weather is rather normal for the moment (20-22 degrees Celsius). The warming up of the horn does wonders, though. A lot of warming up before band practice, that is.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345