Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: John Packer 274 - Thoughts?

I hadn't got around to posting a review on the horn. I've played tuba for over 40 years and left the Army in the 90s. I have about 15 years of professional playing experience and am very much an amateur now. I am a "good" player, not a "great" player but I do know what to look for on an instrument. I found a couple of notes that I had to account for. (2d valve "A" and "E" (bass clef) that were slightly flat but were very manageable. Every horn has something that you have to account for/adjust for/be aware of. I found the horn to play very well and considered overall intonation to be very good. Horns can vary from horn to horn as well. In full disclosure I did send it back as I have decided to go a different direction and up the $s a bit after I can actually play a physical example of a couple of horns I'm interested in. The 274 was well packed, the finish was flawless and comes in a very nice case. I own an open wrap tenor trombone from JP and it was also well packed and beautiful right out of the box. I've had it for over a year and its a great horn. I would have no reservation making a high recommendation for either the JP274 or a Mack/Wessex/ Euph. They are fine instruments. Some of us are old enough to remember not having so many choices at various price points. Its a great time to be a brass player! I definitely would recommend be fully "warmed up" before making any decisions about the intonation. I find it best to play an etude and "stop" on a certain note then check the tuner. Also, you need to fill the horn to fully evaluate. Dynamics are important as well. If you are overblowing/underblowing that will give a false reading. I wish you the best with your new horns!
    John 3:16

Mack Brass Euphonium
    Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Mack Brass 200S BBb Tuba

Hello Davidus1, which eupho did you opt for instead of keeping JP274?

Regards, Guido
    Miraphone M5050L
    Wessex EP104 Festivo (available)
    DT16, DC3, DC4, SM4U, 4AL, 51D

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Davidus1, which eupho did you opt for instead of keeping JP274?

Regards, Guido
    I haven't yet. Not until I can do a play test. Wanting to try both the Wessex Sinfonico and also a Yamaha NEO.
    John 3:16

Mack Brass Euphonium
    Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Mack Brass 200S BBb Tuba

4. I'd love for a more experienced player to try it out, but sadly noone feels very keen on doing that for the moment, all bout Corona and all that.

I don't think the temperature outdoors/indoors should be affecting the horn right now. Summers in Sweden aren't that great, so the weather is rather normal for the moment (20-22 degrees Celsius). The warming up of the horn does wonders, though. A lot of warming up before band practice, that is.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345