X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg_R
    • Oct 2017

Recording yourself

I practice in a 30x20x14 foot room and have been trying to record myself with my cell phone. The audio quality is horrible, especially if the bell is facing towards the microphone (~6 feet away). Specifically, the sound is mostly a "buzz" sound rather than a tone.

What tips and suggestions does everyone have for recording their practice sessions? Will I need to get a better microphone? Thanks!
  • TD517
    • Oct 2011

If you're trying to use the build-in mic on your phone, you will need an external mic. Phones aren't designed to handle the amount of sound and frequencies produced by brass instruments and distort quickly, clipping the audio signal and creating the nasty buzz you hear.

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

You would benefit from a better microphone, but you also need to control the recording level. See this blog post for a detailed description:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...ur-Own-Playing
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Greg_R
        • Oct 2017

Thanks David, that article had a lot of good information. Do you find that a setup in the $100-$200 range is necessary to make a recording suitable for self-analysis / practice review?

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Greg_R View Post
          Thanks David, that article had a lot of good information. Do you find that a setup in the $100-$200 range is necessary to make a recording suitable for self-analysis / practice review?
          Yes, for a decent all-around representation. I would suggest this as entry-level for good quality:

https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-Stereo...dp/B004OU2IQG/

I have one like it that I use at times and it does a very good job. Just make sure to set the record level manually, with about 10db to spare below zero.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81pksZwmYBL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	117310

It's small and very portable. Great battery life. It lets you record as WAV files, which I would suggest for a little better clarity of sound compared to MP3.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
          X