Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNT hires David Childs

UNT hires David Childs

As many of you have probably heard by now, The University of North Texas has recently announced the hiring of David Childs as Professor of Euphonium beginning in the Fall 2018 semester.

He replaces Dr. Brian Bowman, a legendary, pioneering euphonium player who, among other things, led an extraordinary career as a US Armed Forces musician and soloist, and has made UNT a hotspot for euphonium playing for almost two decades.

Here is an article detailing the announcement: http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=33161

Congratulations to David Childs on his hiring, and to Dr. Bowman on his retirement!
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

Great news for the American euphonium -- and quite surprising! Tenured full professor, no less. Good for David Childs, good for UNT.

Let's just hope he gets used to driving on the right quickly....

Dennis

And gets used to the Texas heat.
    Last edited by JTJ; 04-24-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Welcome to the USA!

DG

What a score for UNT and their students! Congrats to both David Childs and UNT.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. Wow! Aside from Steven Mead I don't think they can get a bigger name in the euphonium world to fill the job.

I wonder if this would lead to the eventual demise of the Willson 2900 (small bell with medium shank) concept of sound that has been popular in the US?

[QUOTE=superted;145715]I wonder if this would lead to the eventual demise of the Willson 2900 (small bell with medium shank) concept of sound that has been popular in the US?[/QUOT]

As a horn bigot, one can only hope...

Dennis
    Last edited by highpitch; 04-24-2018 at 11:03 PM.

This is a surprise, but certainly great news for the USA euphonium scene and for UNT in particular. I wonder how he'll balance the time with his professional commitments and his teaching at the Royal College (which I assume will continue).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I can't wait for the opportunity this affords brass bands in the USA. There aren't many bigger names than Childs for Brass Bands and the British Euphonium sound. One hopes he develops the UNT Brass Band into a featured ensemble that he even brings to NABBA. His Euphonium sound is also so distinct. He's had so much success as a Brass Band MD with Flowers and developed a star pupil in Grant Jameson. There could not be a more exciting hire.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast