Clear All
  • jaxstrad
    • Oct 2017

4th Valve Intonation

Deleted
    Last edited by jaxstrad; 01-13-2023, 04:01 PM. Reason: Deleted
  • jkircoff
    • Jan 2013

Two distinct horns having the same unique issue suggests to me the problem lies with the embouchure or the mouthpiece being used. I definitely would not shorten any tubing length.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

I have had a few horns with the same issue. Or I should say, I have had a few horns that interacted with ME in the same way. It may be an individual thing.

I don't see any harm in having someone shorten the 4th valve slide. The downside is that the lower notes, using 4 plus other valves, could wind up being sharp. But they are less frequent, and you can either use the trigger or pull 4 back out a bit for certain pieces/passages.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• jkircoff
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        The downside is that the lower notes, using 4 plus other valves, could wind up being sharp. But they are less frequent, and you can either use the trigger or pull 4 back out a bit for certain pieces/passages.
        I frequently use my trigger along with alternate fingerings to match other instruments that are playing out of tune -- including people in my own section who either can't adjust intonation on the fly or aren't listing across the section.
        James Kircoff
        Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
        Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• jaxstrad
          • Oct 2017

Deleted

Deleted
          Last edited by jaxstrad; 01-13-2023, 04:02 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jaxstrad View Post
            I would agree somewhat that it may a personal issue, but many horns I have played do not have this issue. I currently play on an SM3, and every single mouthpiece I have tried does not fix this.
            Check out this tuning comparison. All 3 of these horns were tested by me at the same event, using the same mouthpiece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ChartCompare.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	117306
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• franz
              • Dec 2015

When I bought my Prestige 2052 German made in the year 2007 had the same problem. I agree with the seller, who is also a repairer of musical instruments, I have shorted the fourth slide, after which C and natural B are in tune. The low F is a bit high, but easily manageable with the trigger. It is a job that any repairer of musical instruments can easily perform and for which I, at the time, did not pay anything.
              2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• TheJH
                • Dec 2014

I had the same problem on an early 200xs Besson International I played for a while. Usually could solve the problem by using better air support and air flow.
                Euphoniums
                2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
                1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
                Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
                Baritone
                1975 Besson New Standard
                Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

Working...
                X