Thread: Trombone Forum

Trombone Forum

Does anyone know what happened to the Trombone Forum? It listed that they were moving to a new server and would be down for 2 weeks. This was 5-6 weeks ago. Just curious what happened. Any info appreciated.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

A lot of people from the trombone forum are over at http://www.trombonechat.com/

There's a good discussion over there about the problems with tromboneforum.org
    --
    Barry

Thank you! I hadn't heard anything. I appreciate the info.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

4. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for my question. I'm trying to figure this place out. I am considering a valve trombone and have heard a lot of negative comments about them. My primary instrument is euphonium and I am just getting back into playing after many years. I have joined an ensemble that is in need of trombone players. My slide skills are not nearly as good as my valve skills, however. So is it better to have the authenticity and intonation of the slide or a valve instrument which lets me get past my physical limitations?

Hi Tom. It'd be better in its own thread (and I suspect a moderator might split it out) but I can offer some input.

Valve trombones don't really sound like trombones. Certainly not large bore "symphonic" style trombones, as valve trombones tend to be made for jazz players and are usually smaller than .500 bore. It can work in a pinch but there's something magic about the slide which makes a trombone sound like a trombone. There's no better way to learn than by jumping in the deep end making yourself do it. You'll be perfecting your legato tongue and slide technique for years and years to come for sure, but it doesn't take too long to get started.
    --
    Barry