Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wessex choice for back-up Euphonium?

Wessex choice for back-up Euphonium?

My current horn is a 35 years old Hirsbrunner 378. Although it is a very nice horn, it can be a little unresponsive at times (probably mostly due to my lousy embouchure and breathing technique). Also, its age is starting to show and there will come a moment that I have to send it to a repairman. If that is the case, I want to have a back-up instrument. I am even considering using the Hirsbrunner as back-up and use the new horn as main instrument.

At first I was thinking of the Wessex Dolce, but that was before I realised the Festivo is compensating as well. The reasons I am now considering the Festivo over the Dolce are:

1. the ergonomic layout of the valves, as I tend to get sore neck/shoulders after long rehearsal;
    2. the supposedly better projection and free blowing, with the 'unresponsive' Hirsbrunner in mind.

Would it be wise to choose the Festivo over the Dolce, with these two considerations in mind? As a former Tuba player, I already have experience with the front-valve setup (I used to play a Kalison CC model 'Daryl Smith'), so that will be easy enough to get used to again. Also the fact that the bell is turned the other way is not a big deal in my Community Band.

Also, I am in doubt over wich finish I should choose. I don't know if it really does make a big difference in sound, or is it mainly cosmetic? I had read somewhere that the Festivo's sound is a little brighter, so I was thinking that Lacquered finish might be better as it makes the sound a little darker than Silver finish, but this could just as well be a myth.

Therefore, I am interested in your opinions on both matters.
    Last edited by MarChant; 04-20-2018 at 07:21 PM.

sounds like the festivo would be an excellent option for yo

On the question of finish, the sound difference between silver and modern lacquer is essentially nonexistent. My primary consideration for a backup horn would be ease of maintenance. Silver takes more care to keep looking good than does lacquer.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Martin,

I actually own both the Festivo (in silver finish) and the Dolce (in lacquer w/ gold brass bell). It's been my opinion (and also members of the comm band and the quartet I play in tell me) that the Festivo does sound brighter and the Dolce darker, for what's it's worth.

I also like the feel of front valves, using my left hand index finger for the 4th valve. I will say this, the Festivo can get a bit heavy during those long rehearsals so I've been using the Comfy Euphonium Strap ( made by Valerie Wells, you can find her on the forum here) and it makes it far more comfortable, to the point where it does not bother me at all.

As far as free blowing and intonation, I feel the Festivo is very free and has very good intonation, however the Dolce does as well. For me, I couldn't decide which I liked better, so purchased both ! Like Adrian says, the silver is more time consuming to take care of finish wise, unless you just aren't very fussy.

Just my opinions and many on this site are far more in the know than I, best on your search.

Thank you all for the comments, they have been very useful to me. Based on them, I think I will go for a lacquered Festivo when my budget is sufficient.

Nbnarcisi, does the Festivo feel heavier than a 'traditional' Euphonium (like the Dolce)?

I don't think it's a sensation of feeling heavier, but I feel that more weight is distributed to the left hand in the way it's held. On the Dolce I have the sensation that my left arm is holding the horn, not just my left hand, for me that's the difference, my opinion only.

Perhaps either horn would benefit from the QHR Lap Pad, if/when Bill opens his website for business again. Otherwise there are several home-made solutions suggested in various thread here for a usable lap pad.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Agree with Dave, I do have a QHR lap pad and use it frequently, wish I had more than one so I would not have to adjust the number of pads for each euphonium, hopefully Bill will be back in the game !!

Well, I ordered the Festivo lacquered gold brass bell online on tuesday. It arrived on friday, wich I think is very quick. So that is a big plus for Wessex. The instrument looks great, has a nice gigbag come with it as well as a mouthpiece, a set of spare springs and valve guides, a cool baseball cap and a pen with built in light. Very nice extras from Wessex!

Unfortunately, I live in a small appartment so I can only play with a Yamaha Silent Brass mute at home, but so far I am very pleased with it. It plays easily and is quite responsive, slotting is good on most notes. Only one I seem to have some trouble with is the A above staff.

After playing for a while, I do now understand what Nbnarciso meant with the weight on the left side (probably augmented by the mute). It is a bit more comfortable when I hold it at the top bow with my left hand an use my little finger on the right hand for the 4th valve.

So for now I am very happy with it and can't wait to play it at the band practice on wednesday.
    Last edited by MarChant; 06-30-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Perhaps either horn would benefit from the QHR Lap Pad, if/when Bill opens his website for business again. Otherwise there are several home-made solutions suggested in various thread here for a usable lap pad.
    Unfortunately, Bill lost his battle with cancer. He will be missed; he had come up with some innovative and very useful euphonium accessories. At the moment, I have no details as to whether or not someone else will re-establish his business.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast