Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Completely frivolous purchase: Baritone Horn, Tenor Horn or Bass Trumpet?

I think the Wessex 3-valve compensating baritone is a better baritone than their bass trumpet is bass trumpet or tenorhorn is tenorhorn.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I think the Wessex 3-valve compensating baritone is a better baritone than their bass trumpet is bass trumpet or tenorhorn is tenorhorn.
    Totally agree on the baritone (great) and bass trumpet (meh). Haven't played the tenorhorn, though I have played another JinBao tenorhorn for a few minutes that I thought was pretty good. The Wessex baritone is a particularly good instrument, and likely to be generally more useful than the other two, though that may fly in the face of frivolity.

Go with the bass trumpet.

It sounds like the bass trumpet has a special place in your heart/mind/art. In my opinion, that makes it perfect for what you are doing. Go ahead and get it. You will find music as you go. You can contact Johnathantuba via PM and he can probably find out how long until the lacquer model will be restocked. Since it is a "frivolous purchase," what does it matter if you have to wait 3 or 4 months (tease)? Once you have it and get to play with it a bit, it will be well worth the wait for you.

When you first posted, I thought that you meant the baritone's close cousin when you said "tenor horn". Not the slightly smaller Eb "alto" horn (sometimes also called a tenor horn). And you seem to be well stocked in the baritone/euphonium neighborhood. So that is why I suggested branching further out.

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

4. I think my bass trumpet paid for itself faster than any other instrument I’ve owned. 90%+ of the playing I do on it is as a last-minute sub for a French horn in brass quintets. Learn to read “F” parts on it and you are golden. Sorry if this diminishes the frivolous nature of your purchase.

Do not waste time and effort trying to make a bass trumpet sound good below the bass staff; it just won’t. They also tend to really like smaller mouthpieces. I use a Laskey 42C. I would start with an 11C or 12C size. Your mileage may differ, but I don’t think anything larger than a 7C will ever really get you the best sound. If you have an ancient 15E hanging around your band room you might be pleasantly surprised. Have fun!
    Last edited by MikeS; 04-25-2018 at 05:27 PM.

5. Alto/tenor/Eb horn, then when you want something unusual later on, an alto trombone as the open notes are the same as also in Eb. Look up Trent Hamilton NZ on YouTube he does lots of fun brass reviews,
    - Lee

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Have you tried their bass trumpet before?

Quote Originally Posted by howrdhodge View Post
    Totally agree on the baritone (great) and bass trumpet (meh). Haven't played the tenorhorn, though I have played another JinBao tenorhorn for a few minutes that I thought was pretty good. The Wessex baritone is a particularly good instrument, and likely to be generally more useful than the other two, though that may fly in the face of frivolity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    It sounds like the bass trumpet has a special place in your heart/mind/art. In my opinion, that makes it perfect for what you are doing. Go ahead and get it. You will find music as you go. You can contact Johnathantuba via PM and he can probably find out how long until the lacquer model will be restocked. Since it is a "frivolous purchase," what does it matter if you have to wait 3 or 4 months (tease)? Once you have it and get to play with it a bit, it will be well worth the wait for you.

When you first posted, I thought that you meant the baritone's close cousin when you said "tenor horn". Not the slightly smaller Eb "alto" horn (sometimes also called a tenor horn). And you seem to be well stocked in the baritone/euphonium neighborhood. So that is why I suggested branching further out.

- Sara
    The plot thickens. The lacquer model is now up for pre-order with a $200 deposit as they will be in June according to their website. So now it seems like a toss up between Bass Trumpet and Baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I think my bass trumpet paid for itself faster than any other instrument I’ve owned. 90%+ of the playing I do on it is as a last-minute sub for a French horn in brass quintets. Learn to read “F” parts on it and you are golden. Sorry if this diminishes the frivolous nature of your purchase.

Do not waste time and effort trying to make a bass trumpet sound good below the bass staff; it just won’t. They also tend to really like smaller mouthpieces. I use a Laskey 42C. I would start with an 11C or 12C size. Your mileage may differ, but I don’t think anything larger than a 7C will ever really get you the best sound. If you have an ancient 15E hanging around your band room you might be pleasantly surprised. Have fun!
    I don't know how much application this will get for me outside of my bandroom and personal practice. Bass Trumpet is a popular sub for trombone in Jazz but I've never been good at improv.

Quote Originally Posted by hornbag View Post
    Alto/tenor/Eb horn, then when you want something unusual later on, an alto trombone as the open notes are the same as also in Eb. Look up Trent Hamilton NZ on YouTube he does lots of fun brass reviews,
    - Lee
    I love Trent Hamilton's videos! Lots of great information and demonstrations on his channel and I love his dry humor lol

I guess a better question to start asking now is does anybody have any personal experience with these Wessex horns? From my own personal research they have fantastic Tubas, heard a lot of praise for the Dolce and Festivo Euphoniums and read some positives about the Baritone on this forum and others. While I don't doubt the quality of the Wessex products in general I haven't seen any discussion on their Bass Trumpet at all. I'm just curious if their Bass Trumpet has any modifications made to it like some of their other products or is it closer to a standard JinBao horn?

What did you get?

So here we are, five months later. What I want to know, Bman94, is what horn did you get with your "frivolous purchase" ?

You were asking if anyone had experience with the Wessex compensating baritones. I would answer, "Kind of." My horn is the JinBao sister-clone model that the Wessex was based on.

Did you ever find much bass trumpet material to help you make your decision?

In any case, don't leave us hanging. What did you get? What clinched your decision? How do you like how it turned out?

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

I'd go in a completely different direction.

Electronic wind instrument. Most now have electronic valve instrument setting, also. The less expensive have fewer sounds. The lowest requires connection to a computer/laptop for sounds.

And you might enjoy it! So it could be viable for some other kinds of ensembles.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...campaign=15144

9. Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    So here we are, five months later. What I want to know, Bman94, is what horn did you get with your "frivolous purchase" ?

You were asking if anyone had experience with the Wessex compensating baritones. I would answer, "Kind of." My horn is the JinBao sister-clone model that the Wessex was based on.

Did you ever find much bass trumpet material to help you make your decision?

In any case, don't leave us hanging. What did you get? What clinched your decision? How do you like how it turned out?

- Sara
    Well in short, life happened. A few unexpected bills and trips had to be made over the summer so I couldn't purchase a "new" horn for frivolously means. I did buy a few other really excellent horns from eBay however:

King 1122 Marching French Horn for $99 (Bought it for the curiosity of what a Marching French Horn feels and sounds like, very odd instrument)
    Olds Special Trumpet (1963) for $560 (LOVE this trumpet, great sound great response, and is my first non student trumpet, so it feels great to play on a pro level horn. There's an Olds Special Concert in great condition on eBay as well for around $500 so I'm looking for that too).
    Yamaha Single F Horn for $99 (Bought specifically for my program, we have a low number of French Horns available)

and my most suprising purchase:

Conn 19I Euphonium for $450. What a great deal. The Conn 19I is just a King 2280 with a different branding and man is this horn fantastic. This horn can really sing, has a fantastic lower register and just a beautiful sounding horn for a "intermediate" horn. Here's a video on my Facebook page of me playing the horn:

https://www.facebook.com/25182967950...3670051379325/

The lacquer is in great condition but the horn was in bad maintenance shape. Spent a few hours of my weekend cleaning it out, cleaning the valves, oiling them and greasing the slides, but once all that was done the horn was good as new (except for a few dings here and there). I'm seriously contemplating getting the dents removed, that's how much I like this horn.

As opposed to my original post. I think I will go for the Bass Trumpet. It's a more unique find and for that price, you can't beat it. As of now I think I have more than enough horns in the "Baritone/Euphonium" category. With all those combined I have:

Yamaha Marching Baritone
    Blessing Marching Baritone
    Bach "Mercedes" Marching Baritone
    Conn 19I Euphonium
    Olds Studio Model Bell Front Euphonium
    Mack Brass Euphonium.

I still do want a traditional British Bore Euphonium and eventually a 4 valve bell front but I'm in no rush to get one. I want to explore the Bass Trumpet way more and the Tenor/Alto horn as well too. So If I make the plunge on one of those two I will definitely update this thread!

Wow, it sounds beautiful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast