Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6-7 minutes Euph High School player?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium17 View Post
    Best of luck to you, and happy practicing!
    Hi! My coach recommended me to instead play Haddad's Suite for Baritone which also seems pretty realistic for me haha so I decided to play that one instead. Any specific advice on that one? Also, is there a place where I can get the sheet music for preferably BC Euphonium & piano accompaniment for free? If not, I guess I don't mind paying haha

Quote Originally Posted by JxRill View Post

Thank you! Beautiful Colorado sounds wonderful; unfortunately, I think the competition prefers a classical piece haha. Rhapsody for Euphonium is really nice too, but it's only a grade II-III piece and my teacher / coach does not really like it :/ sorry. However once again, thank you very much for the advice! I am strongly considering to play Fantaisie Brilliante by Arban
    Really enjoying this thread there are lots of lovely pieces out there. From a UK perspective I'm confused when you say something is a grade II-III piece - I'm used to the ABRSM grades in the UK and this sounds much harder than what I would know as Grade 2 - 3. Is there a comparison chart between the two types of grades?

Quote Originally Posted by davidf View Post
    Really enjoying this thread there are lots of lovely pieces out there. From a UK perspective I'm confused when you say something is a grade II-III piece - I'm used to the ABRSM grades in the UK and this sounds much harder than what I would know as Grade 2 - 3. Is there a comparison chart between the two types of grades?
    The grading system in the U.S. is not very uniform. Some states seem to have different grades set on pieces. When I played "Rhapsody for Euphonium" (Curnow) with wind band, it did say grade 3, but I was told that it referred to the 'band part' not the soloist part. It seemed harder than 3 to me.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hi! My coach recommended me to instead play Haddad's Suite for Baritone which also seems pretty realistic for me haha so I decided to play that one instead. Any specific advice on that one? Also, is there a place where I can get the sheet music for preferably BC Euphonium & piano accompaniment for free? If not, I guess I don't mind paying haha
    I would listen to it a couple times, here's a good recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeVsTsX8hmQ
    His overall interpretation of everything seems to be good. After that, it's pretty straightforward, just watch all of the articulations, such as the stacatti and slurs, and it does lack dynamics in some places so don't be afraid to make a musical decision and add them in places, and make sure to do a lot with dynamics. Feel free to have fun with it, and be sure to give it some good interpretation and style. Other than that, just watch breathing, and then make sure to work with your accompanist (if you have one) to figure out what you need to conduct for them (especially mvt. 2), and to get it together, especially the 3rd movement. And don't shy away from the high C's, even if you do have braces!
    And I don't know of anywhere to get it free, sorry. But it should be at a reasonable price on Hickey's or J.W. Pepper.
    Hope this helps, good luck, it's definitely a fun piece to play!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium17 View Post
    I would listen to it a couple times, here's a good recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeVsTsX8hmQ
    His overall interpretation of everything seems to be good. After that, it's pretty straightforward, just watch all of the articulations, such as the stacatti and slurs, and it does lack dynamics in some places so don't be afraid to make a musical decision and add them in places, and make sure to do a lot with dynamics. Feel free to have fun with it, and be sure to give it some good interpretation and style. Other than that, just watch breathing, and then make sure to work with your accompanist (if you have one) to figure out what you need to conduct for them (especially mvt. 2), and to get it together, especially the 3rd movement. And don't shy away from the high C's, even if you do have braces!
    And I don't know of anywhere to get it free, sorry. But it should be at a reasonable price on Hickey's or J.W. Pepper.
    Hope this helps, good luck, it's definitely a fun piece to play!
    I see. Thanks for the advice! My tutor should also be able to help me with stuff I forget to do eg dynamic, etc..

Last edited by davewerden; 08-17-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12