Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-7 minutes Euph High School player?

6-7 minutes Euph High School player?

Hello!
    I am an okay high school euphonium player. This year, I went on a music competition between South East Asian international schools and I played the solo "Andante et Allegro" by J. Guy Ropartz and I'd say it went quite well because I was formally commended by the judges. But this year, I'm kind of having struggles looking for a good solo to play for my next audition (as we have to audition every year).

Requirements of the solo:
    6-7 minutes (though if the song length is longer than that maybe I can just cut some parts out haha)
    At least grade 4 piece? (would like a fairly advanced one since competition might be high this yea)
    Only up to high G to A because I have braces right now and it's quite difficult for me to play high notes... those notes are the ones that I can play consistently though if the song has a few A's & B flats and C's I think I should be fine.
    PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT PLEASE!

Thank you guys!
    Last edited by JxRill; 04-18-2018 at 06:29 AM.

Hello there! I am also a high school student and I went through the same problem a few months ago. I ended up playing Haddad's Suite for Baritone, which is an amazing piece! It is 3 movements and around 10 minutes, however you could play 2 to get in your time range. It has a few high C's, but only 2 or 3, it may be a bit higher than you are looking for. If so, I know some others:
    -Blue Bells of Scotland
    -Devil's Tongue
    -Sonata in Bb by Mozart
    -Concerto in Bb by Mozart
    -Fantasie Brilliante
    These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, all of them are great pieces!

Check out “Beautiful Colorado” (DeLuca). It’s 6 mins long in this video with piano, but she may be a bit under tempo in places:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjvuYlNLLtY

One of my favorites is “Rhapsody for Euphonium” (James Curnow). It’s right at 6 min. length with band but a bit under 6 mins with piano. My grandson is playing this next month with his H.S. band. Below are a couple of links - one with the solo music, one with video.

https://musescore.com/user/117365/scores/130280
    ...don’t listen to the midi play of this since it’s not rubato

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=grWyRFIgSnw

Good luck finding a piece.
    Last edited by RickF; 04-18-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. J.E. Barat's Andante et Allegro is the solo I'm working on right now for a competition. It goes up to a high Bb a few times and there is a decent amount of time spent around high Gb, G, and Ab. If you can read treble clef, you might be able to use something written for trumpet. Song for Ina by Philip Sparke might be a good one, too.
    T.J. Davis

Wessex Dolce
    G&W Kadja

Arban's Fantasie Brilliante is the piece I did a year after the Ropartz when I was in high school; I seem to recall it was used as the all-state audition piece. Vivaldi's Sonata I for trombone (arr. Ostrander) was in there somewhere as well.

Thank you all for the prompt replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Arban's Fantasie Brilliante is the piece I did a year after the Ropartz when I was in high school; I seem to recall it was used as the all-state
    audition piece. Vivaldi's Sonata I for trombone (arr. Ostrander) was in there somewhere as well.
    Hi there, I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks! I think my teacher / coach prefers me to play a euphonium piece rather than a trombone piece haha so I'll check and see if playing Arban's Fantasie Brilliante will be realistic enough to master by October. I really like the song but I'm not quite good at triple tonguing, though I think my tutor can help me with that. Maybe I can cut out some of the hard parts?? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by daviste View Post
    J.E. Barat's Andante et Allegro is the solo I'm working on right now for a competition. It goes up to a high Bb a few times and there is a decent amount of time spent around high Gb, G, and Ab. If you can read treble clef, you might be able to use something written for trumpet. Song for Ina by Philip Sparke might be a good one, too.
    Hi, thanks for the prompt response! My teacher / coach told me not to play Andante et Allegro by Barat when I asked him about it because he said that I'm better off looking for other pieces. Despite this, thanks for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Check out “Beautiful Colorado” (DeLuca). It’s 6 mins long in this video with piano, but she may be a bit under tempo in places:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjvuYlNLLtY

One of my favorites is “Rhapsody for Euphonium” (James Curnow). It’s right at 6 min. length with band but a bit under 6 mins with piano. My grandson is playing this next month with his H.S. band. Below are a couple of links - one with the solo music, one with video.

https://musescore.com/user/117365/scores/130280
    ...don’t listen to the midi play of this since it’s not rubato

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=grWyRFIgSnw

Good luck finding a piece.
    Thank you! Beautiful Colorado sounds wonderful; unfortunately, I think the competition prefers a classical piece haha. Rhapsody for Euphonium is really nice too, but it's only a grade II-III piece and my teacher / coach does not really like it :/ sorry. However once again, thank you very much for the advice! I am strongly considering to play Fantaisie Brilliante by Arban

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium17 View Post
    Hello there! I am also a high school student and I went through the same problem a few months ago. I ended up playing Haddad's Suite for Baritone, which is an amazing piece! It is 3 movements and around 10 minutes, however you could play 2 to get in your time range. It has a few high C's, but only 2 or 3, it may be a bit higher than you are looking for. If so, I know some others:
    -Blue Bells of Scotland
    -Devil's Tongue
    -Sonata in Bb by Mozart
    -Concerto in Bb by Mozart
    -Fantasie Brilliante
    These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, all of them are great pieces!
    Hello, thanks so much for the help! I can't really find the Sonata in Bb or Concerto in Bb by Mozart so a link to that would be very helpful. Anyway, I'm strongly considering to play Fantaisie Brillante. Any advice with the triple tonguing? I might need to cut out some parts since it's too long but it's beautiful and I'm sure my tutor can help me cut some out. Thanks for the recommendations!

I can't really find the Sonata in Bb or Concerto in Bb by Mozart so a link to that would be very helpful.
    I wish I had a recording, I'm in the same boat as you on that one! I just have heard a lot about it and I've looked into playing it, but I wasn't able to find a recording either, sorry!
    I'm strongly considering to play Fantaisie Brillante. Any advice with the triple tonguing?
    Awesome, I'm considering doing that piece for a competition next year! And with triple tonguing, you might look at some of the exercises in the Arban, and then just start working on it slow to get control and then slowly ramp up the tempo, the best way is to take you time, I've found! Don't take it faster than you can, you never want to play it too fast you can't control it. That third variation is a kicker! Best of luck to you!

I can't get remember the timing of it but Concert Piece by PV de la Nux might work. It does go to high Bb a couple of times however.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium17 View Post
    I wish I had a recording, I'm in the same boat as you on that one! I just have heard a lot about it and I've looked into playing it, but I wasn't able to find a recording either, sorry!

Awesome, I'm considering doing that piece for a competition next year! And with triple tonguing, you might look at some of the exercises in the Arban, and then just start working on it slow to get control and then slowly ramp up the tempo, the best way is to take you time, I've found! Don't take it faster than you can, you never want to play it too fast you can't control it. That third variation is a kicker! Best of luck to you!
    Well, thank you for the help! I should be able to master it by October haha

Best of luck to you, and happy practicing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast