Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eupher6
    • Mar 2009

Could not agree more about the mouthpiece. It's a paperweight, or will be when the Bach 5GS I ordered comes in. It was backordered, but should be arriving in the next few days.

Another great point from the V-guy (Ernie) - that 3rd valve bottom cap takes an Act of Congress to get on and take off. Unless, of course, you have hands like a violinists. Mine aren't, of course. Mine are like dinner plates with appendages for digits. Ugh.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

• daeupher
      • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Vombatidae View Post

Mouthpiece: F
      In general it was not good. Maybe it's me, but it really made a mess of the lower register, and I consider it a paperweight. Marked "Wessex Young 6 1/2A", it looks like a Bach 6.5AL from the outside and has a similar rim, but the bowl is oddly funnel shaped and has a narrow throat. Didn't get the calipers out, sorry. Tooling marks were evident in the bowl. I tried four or five mouthpieces I had on hand, and not surprisingly, a Wick 6BS was a huge improvement. (I don't have a Wick 5BS or 4BS yet, but am thinking that might be an even better match.)

tl;dr : B
      Not perfect, but a good value, especially if it isn't your main horn. I'll keep it.

As always, YMMV
      Great review, Vombatidae! I purchased one of these in April and find your remarks "spot on" to my experience - especially on the mouthpiece that came with the horn. It is dreadful and a waste. I tried everything I had laying around (a large variety of Bach, Schilke, and "knock-offs", and nothing seemed to satisfy my needs very well. After a bit of reading I bought a Wick BSM4X and it seems the perfect fit for me with this horn.

I also found the same concern with the main tuning slide almost all the way in. I prefer a bit more "wriggle room" on that.

Comment

Working...
      X