Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheJH
    • Dec 2014

I used Hetman's synthetic oil for a couple of years maybe 7-8 years ago, it always left a lot of yellow/green slimey stuff on my valves. Never had problem with 'natural' valve oils like La Tromba. So body chemistry (and especially saliva and breath composition) are very important in this subject.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• BrandonJones
      • Feb 2008

Hetman also tends to leave a bit of greenish slimy stuff at the bottom of my valves, but it only develops after a few weeks of playing, and I simply clean it out. Blue Juice feels great...for about 20 minutes...! But I do like that Blue Juice tends to keep the inside of the horn clean and I’ve never experienced any build up of any kind with Blue Juice. If you don’t mind oiling your valves a couple of times per day (depending on how much you’re practicing/playing), you can’t go wrong really with Blue Juice. I prefer the longevity of Hetman #1, so that’s what I tend to use.
      Last edited by BrandonJones; 04-16-2018, 02:47 PM.
      Brandon Jones
      Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
      bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• RickF
        • Jan 2006

I used Hetman’s for quite awhile until I got frustrated with all the yellow buildup in ports and bottom valve caps. Then tried Yamaha synthetic. It had less buildup, but there was still some. Switched to Blue Juice and saw no yellow buildup. Keeps the instrument cleaner too like Brandon points out. I play every day one to two hours and only have to re-oil about every other day.

I still use Hetman’s slide grease with no interference with my valves. Hetman-7 on all slides but my 2nd slide. I use Herman-8 on that one so it stays in place.
        Last edited by RickF; 05-07-2018, 10:16 PM.
        Rick Floyd
        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
        Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• miketeachesclass
          • Feb 2016

Interestingly, my hand brace popped the solder joint on the side closest to the bell. I’ve never been worried about that happening before, but I guess it was attached with the absolute minimum of solder. Off to the shop, I guess.
          Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
          Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
            • Feb 2006

I've always found this discussion extremely interesting regarding synthetic oils and ability to feed bacteria growth.
            http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...alve-oil/page3
            Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
            K&G 3.5D
            ---------------------------------
            Founder and Solo Euphonium
            San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

Working...
            X