Thread: How to get a medium shank mouthpiece from a large shank

How to get a medium shank mouthpiece from a large shank

Do you have a euphonium with receiver for medium shank mouthpieces and can't find the right mouthpiece?
    I explain how you can easily adapt your favorite large shank mouthpiece and turn it into a medium shank with simple tools.
    You will need: a drill, a vice, a brass or other metal or wood or plastic rod shaped on one side so that it enters the back-bore and some paper or sandpaper with a grain size of 400-800-1000. Lock the drill in the vice, tighten the bar in the drill chuck, insert the mouthpiece on the bar and rotate the chuck locking the activation button so that both hands are free. Now, using the coarser grit sandpaper, remove material from the outside of the stem, in order to reduce its diameter and thus be able to use it for the medium receiver. Do this in small steps and each time try the coupling of the stem with the receiver until you obtain the perfect coupling and the desired insertion length, then finish the surface with the fine-grained cloth.
    With this simple do-it-yourself system I was able to use my favorite mouthpiece on the Besson New Standard that I bought a couple of years ago because there were no medium shank mouthpieces that satisfied me (the choice is very small K&G don't really make them) Also you can use this method if you want to reduce the GAP of a mouthpiece that fits slightly into the receiver. I recommend proceeding step by step, because if it becomes too thin, then it is no longer possible to go back.
    Good work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221012_094959.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	805.7 KB 
ID:	9395 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221012_095451.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	9396
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221012_095507.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	9397
    Last edited by franz; 10-12-2022 at 04:05 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.