Thread: FS: Cerveny 4-Valve Oval Euphonium with Case

Question FS: Cerveny 4-Valve Oval Euphonium with Case

This one is in very nice condition, including the case. Bidding is starting at $500:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-F-Cerveny...m/202274054046

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	5984 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	5985
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. I'm finding myself seriously thinking about this one. It looks like a good deal, but I wonder if it would add significantly to my collection. I love the intonation of my Mack Brass compensating euphonium, and for contrast I have a Schiller compensating baritone, which plays quite well for the price. Any thoughts on how different this type of horn would sound/feel compared to those I already have?

I've been learning tuba in the past year as well and really enjoy playing my Mack Brass CC. I've been wanting a smaller tuba to play as well, and I'm waiting for the "Stumpy" tuba that Wessex sells to get back in stock (keeping my fingers crossed that they'll release a CC version of the Stumpy). Looks like it will be a few months, and I kind of have the itch to buy another horn...maybe this is it, or maybe I should bide my time!

shipping is stupid high. If I was local I would consider it

Quote Originally Posted by Koukalaka View Post
    Any thoughts on how different this type of horn would sound/feel compared to those I already have?
    This instrument is really only appropriate for music from Germany, Austria, and certain Eastern European countries. It has a lighter, more direct sound than a British-style compensating Euphonium, but is going to be darker than any British-style Baritone Horn. The main is that the sound is so characteristic of Central and Eastern European music that the instrument is going to sound out of place in another type of ensemble.

Here's a pretty good (and fun) example of both the Baryton (which is what this really is) and the Tenorhorn being played in a contemporary German brass band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGjvRIKcHI

There's also a secondary issue. The bell points the opposite direction from a regular compensating euphonium. This can be problematic in a section setting.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

5. Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    shipping is stupid high. If I was local I would consider it
    That does seem bizarrely high. I sent a message to the seller to check and make sure he/she didn't accidentally list an international shipping cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Koukalaka View Post
    That does seem bizarrely high. I sent a message to the seller to check and make sure he/she didn't accidentally list an international shipping cost.
    Please let us know what you learn. It does seem higher than normal for a seller with 167 ratings on eBay (meaning he has sold a bunch of stuff already). If it were a first-time seller, I could see that kind of quote if one just checked with the UPS Store or similar. Last time I shipped a horn it was to MA (Trent Austin's shop) with my local UPS Store, and shipping and insurance were about 200-ish. Of course, insurance a good part of that. Also, I already had it boxed sturdily. Paying for a shipper to box it would add some, too. I've often wondered how typical sellers handle all this (as I consider selling off some of my stuff) and maybe your inquiry will provide insight.
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-02-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

or he's avoiding ebay fees by raising the cost of shipping

8. Well, I ended up letting the auction expire without bidding because I wasn't willing to pay almost $200 for shipping. I got a response from the seller as follows, although it was only 10 minutes before the end of the auction:

Thank you for your email and interest. The shipping includes a packing/handling fee as we do not have adequate materials and sized box to ship safely. Shipping will be recalculated using actual box measurements after the auction. Thank you!
    I was nervous about committing to buy, not knowing how this "recalculation" would work out!
    Last edited by Koukalaka; 04-05-2018 at 11:42 AM.

I own an oval baritone/euphonium and do find the sound a little on the dark side but I've used it for some solo work. Seems that I personally prefer the darker German/Swiss sound over the British. Harder instrument to sell used but the sound seems to be appreciated more from my listeners.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone