X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Musician sues ROH over hearing loss.

Musician sues ROH (Royal Opera House) over hearing loss - and wins!

See BBC article:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43571144

I have musician ear plugs that knock down sound by 12 db, but don’t like wearing them. I may have to reconsider since we sit in front of the bass T-bone.

-- edit to correct attenuation to 12 db from 8 db. For those interested, every 3 db is half volume so 12 db should be 4 times softer than no hearing attenuation. --
    Last edited by RickF; 03-30-2018, 12:14 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
  • Davidus1
    • Jul 2008

That sure puts the ROH in an awkward position............wow!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• jkircoff
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by RickF View Post
      Musician sues ROH (Royal Opera House) over hearing loss - and wins!

See BBC article:
      http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43571144

I have musician ear plugs that knock down sound by 8db, but don’t like wearing them. I may have to reconsider since we sit in front of the bass T-bone.
      I sit in front of a very strong bass trombonist in my brass band, and it not comfortable on the ears. I should pick up a pair of musician ear plugs myself.
      James Kircoff
      Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
      Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• Snorlax
        • Mar 2007

I use a Kevlar blanket to cover my back. One particular trombonist in front of whom I frequently have to sit has a tone that drilled a hole through my back and neck.
        Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
        Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
        bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
        Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
        Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
        Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
        www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• djwpe
          • Dec 2008

I play with a trumpet player who could cut diamonds with his sound.

Comment

• dsurkin
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
            I play with a trumpet player who could cut diamonds with his sound.
            I played keyboards with rock bands and 16-piece jazz bands. Particularly with the rock bands crammed onto a small stage with a drummer's cymbal by my head, I bought my first pair of musician's earplugs back in 1979. While in recent years I have noticed a decline in my hearing certain frequencies, I'm happy to say that's more age-related (and typical for my family). I highly recommend musician's earplugs to everyone playing in large ensembles.

I recently saw a performance by the NY Philharmonic of Copland's Third Symphony, and some of the string players were adjusting their earplugs just before "Fanfare for the Common Man" started.

Incidentally, I wear heavy-duty, over the ear protectors (they look like headphones) when I mow the lawn or use my leaf blower. I highly recommend that, too.
            Dean L. Surkin
            Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
            Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
            Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
            See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

I've been checking out some different type of ear plugs. There are several reviews out there and ones that got my attention are called 'Earasers HiFi Earplugs'. These rank #1 out of 10 in one on-line review I watched. These don't attenuate all frequencies evenly but "filter out loud noise while still allowing you to hear at a safe, comfortable level." They're a bit more expensive but offer a satisfaction guarantee.

Musician's HiFi Earplugs-

Erasers Frequency Response-

I ordered some (Amazon) and will see how they work out and post back. Their website state that some in the Boston Symphony use these as well do some members of drum corps.
              Rick Floyd

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

My review of the Erasers:

Got these a few days ago. They're not as attenuating as other types of earplugs, but I still had trouble hearing the director in rehearsal when he was giving verbal instructions. Monday night we were rehearsing "Valdres March" (Johannes Hanssen) where I play euph in answer to the solo trumpet. This was the first piece we rehearsed and the Dir had to stop and tell me I was rushing. Out came the plugs. When playing with them I couldn't hear the whole band to balance so in the drawer they go for now.
                Last edited by RickF; 04-12-2018, 10:18 AM.
                Rick Floyd

Comment

• ghmerrill
                  • Dec 2011

I'm a big fan of Howard Leight electronic earmuffs for substantial noise reduction while being able to hear normal conversation, but I'm not sure how they'd go over in rehearsal or performance. However, there are less obtrusive versions of this sort of technology that could be considered (although somewhat more expensive). I do have a pair of quite good earplugs that also are good at passing through a conversational level of sound and suppressing loud sounds, and I've used them at times (sitting next to a snare drum), but generally I don't.

I am now the guy behind the bass trombone, and can make some remarks from that perspective. There are just some pieces that call for the very "intense" sound that this instrument can produce. In our recent concert, "The Ride" and (especially) "Pirates of the Caribbean" were the primary ones. Sorry, but this is actually part of the music. I am constantly conscious of the effect that overdoing things with this instrument can have on those seated in front of me, and have told people to tell me if I'm going too far. Since I sit in the back row (behind the French horns whose bells, ironically, are pointed at me), there is no one behind me to be of much concern to me -- at least since I moved away from the snare drum and next to the timpani.

Another thought is that while it's fairly common for the bass trombone to be seated in the rearmost row, there's really no need for this and I wonder why this layout continues to be so prevalent. A better arrangement (which I've seen in at least a couple of professional US military bands) is to seat the trombone section not centrally across the back, but on one end of that row, with the bass trombone seated closest to the audience (or very close to that). This reduces the sonic damage caused by the instrument (or at least isolates it to the audience who, after all, are paying for it).
                  Gary Merrill
                  Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                  Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                  Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                  1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                  Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                  1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• MikeS
                    • Apr 2012

I have never been comfortable using earplugs during rehearsal or performance. I do, however, wear them during the warm up period before rehearsals. Folk play louder and more aggressively before getting down to business. Once the conductor takes the stand the trumpets who sit behind me tend to play with a bit more restraint. Every little bit helps, right?

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                      • Feb 2016

A company called sensaphonics has an in-ear monitoring solution called "3D Active Ambient" They're essentially ear-sealing in ear monitors that have microphones on the outside of the earplug. I've used them extensively when seeing live music to retain fidelity and effectively "turn down" the volume. I use them in particular at drum corps shows; I can still hear the whole harmonic series and overtones, and don't get 110dB at my ears.

They are not at all inexpensive, but they are very effective. I haven't been using them when playing, but I'm going to give that a shot this week.

https://www.sensaphonics.com/3d
                      Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                      Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• IaMichael
                        • Sep 2017

I would be interested in hearing (no pun intended) what you thought of them in rehearsal. Thanks!
                        Meinl-Weston 451S
                        Yamaha 321S with 5th valve (1983)
                        Buescher U.S.QMC Double-Bell (1939)

Comment

Working...
                        X