Thread: Jesus Wept

Jesus Wept

Anyone in the forum that has performed Jesus Wept by William Shuman could perhaps describe their experience. I will be doing it with the Bible College wind ensemble and found two measures that are challenging rhythm wise. Any feedback would be appreciated. It's a great piece and we've only rehearsed it twice so far. The conductor and I went over the solo part after the second rehearsal and with the metronome went well. I'm guessing the trumpet isn't exactly correct and throwing me off. Got to get it completely correct in practice at home so that there is no distraction at rehearsal.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

The trumpet part is indeed off like you mention - the two of you trade on/off beats in the 2nd section. Just remember that dotted quarter, eighth rhythms are together FOUR eighth notes. If you sing all the eighth notes while taking the marking down a few clicks, you should be able to get it no problem. Also, people tend to hold onto the ties too long - they are just tied to eighth notes.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwwinds/...uba%202011.pdf

Stay in your lane at 85/Tempo 1. Might want to get together with Trumpet player outside of rehearsal and treat these sections as if you were playing in a chamber ensemble and work out the rhythms.

Here is the Marine Band playing - this link should start right at the Meno Mosso
    https://youtu.be/W9NTlug1xgI?t=3m35s
    Last edited by JakeGuilbo; 03-23-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added marine band link
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

As Jake said, the rhythms are critical to success. You should certainly work with the trumpet player, but not before you are sure you handle the rhythms correctly.

When we did this with the Coast Guard Band it came out pretty well (except the mic was closer to me than the trumpet player). I'll attach it here.

http://www.dwerden.com/SoundFiles/Eu...rden-USCGB.mp3
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Jake and Dave. This has been a tremendous help. I've been using the link of Jake's because I can hear the trumpet better and playing along with it. I think that the trumpet part was throwing me off during rehearsal. I need to concentrate on the euphonium part, where the beat falls and it will be ok. I'm continuing to listen to both links. I also emailed the conductor suggesting we go over the trumpet and euphonium section of the meno mosso section. This way both will get a better feeling of what is going on.
    Again thanks for the responses. I'm still open to any more ideas. I wanted to add that we had rehearsal tonight and it went extremely well. The conductor was more than pleased. Again a big thank you to Jake and Dave. I found that focus was part of the answer.
    Last edited by BDeisinger; 03-26-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S

I want to thank all the help and support in preparing for the performance of "When Jesus Wept" My wife recorded the performance and is on You Tube. First time in 50 years that I have heard a recording of myself. I'm glad now she recorded even though on an I Pad, I got a good idea of what is good and what needs more work. I think some of my attacks were weak probably because I was nervous (which happens to all of us) and also the quality of the recording isn't the greatest. I also realized that I had use a different mouthpiece (Warburten shank with different cups) than what I originally had chosen. I did get through with no problems with the rhythm which I think is what had me the most concerned. Again, this forum has made a huge difference and a great resource.
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S