Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aroberts781
    • Sep 2014

Thanks for the reply Dave. It is the QHR strap. I can't remember how long I've had it, I want to say around 3 years. It doesn't really strike me as the course weave variant, it is a fairly soft black fabric. I might play around with it some later this week, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.
    1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
    1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• PhilGo
      • Oct 2019

I ordered my customized strap yesterday. The owner of the company was quick to respond to my inquiry and very helpful in the ordering process!

Comment

• ametropia
        • Dec 2018

I just ordered my comfy euph strap! The response was crazy fast getting back to me, send me an invoice, and ship it, I'm still shocked it was that quick. I sent the initial email for the order and I think she responded in something like 4 minutes to confirm with me. Big kudos for that and her ongoing communication at every step was outstanding.

That's what makes me recommend companies or people or products, aside from the product itself, is just good communication.
        "Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl."
        "The end (of the world) will come, but love and music live forever."

Euph: Geneva Symphony (4v-comp, trig)
        Euph: Besson New Standard (3v-comp 1978)
        Bari: Wessex BR-140 (3v-comp, lacquer)
        Mpcs: Euph (SM4) Bari (Stork T1)

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
          • Jun 2018

Valerie has been very responsive all these while. I emailed her a year ago and had the same quick response. I'm glad she's receiving a lot of orders after Mr. Werden's latest video!
          "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
          Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
          https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
            • Jul 2017

Valerie now carries a new color, she calls “basic dove gray” which is a great match for those of us who have silver plated euphs. As always, it is extremely well made and does look great on the horn.

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by aroberts781 View Post
              Thanks for the reply Dave. It is the QHR strap. I can't remember how long I've had it, I want to say around 3 years. It doesn't really strike me as the course weave variant, it is a fairly soft black fabric. I might play around with it some later this week, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.
              I will PM you about this, but Valerie thinks she may have made that strap for QHR and will work with you to correct it. In her words (which she asked me to post):

"I stand behind my work and will do whatever it takes to make it right."
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• aroberts781
                • Sep 2014

I've been meaning to update this thread for a while now. In my earlier posts I discussed how my QHR hand strap really never fit me very well. Based on where my outer bow brace was in relation to the 4th valve, I had to make the hand loop so small to put my hand in the right position relative to the valve that it was very uncomfortable for my hand.

I sent some photos, measurements, and emails back and forth with Valerie and I ended up getting a new custom made Comfy Euph Strap, and I love it. It is similar design and construction to the QHR strap I had, but she added a second loop to effectively lower where the loop starts on my horn, making it very easy to have a comfortable position for the hand loop.

Pic 1 shows the original QHR Strap I had. Pic 2 shows the new strap (hopefully the difference in bunching and pinching in my hand is visible). Pic 3 shows a comparison of the old QHR strap and the custom Comfy Euph Strap that Valerie made (the Comfy Euph Strap is the one with two cross straps perpendicular to the hand loop).

The Comfy Euph Strap has more padding and structure than the original version I had which I think also contributes to the improvements over my last strap. If anyone has any specific questions about this strap feel free to PM me.

Huge thanks to Valerie for working with me to get a strap in my hands that I really enjoy.
                Attached Files

Comment

• davewerden
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by aroberts781 View Post
                  Huge thanks to Valerie for working with me to get a strap in my hands that I really enjoy.
                  Thanks for the update! Valerie is a great resource for the euphonium world (not to mention the French horn world)!
                  Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                  Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Leo_Opolain
                    • Sep 2021

What can I buy the simplest for the first time, as for a beginner?

Comment

• aroberts781
                      • Sep 2014

Leo, I assume you mean the simplest first time strap for a beginner without going through the measuring/custom solution that I went through, is that correct?

From just reading through this forum thread it sounds like a lot of people have good results with just the standard comfy euph strap, so maybe that is what you're looking for. I want to be clear that the first strap I had was not the comfy euph strap but the somewhat of a predecessor QHR hand strap, so it is possible that the standard comfy euph strap would've worked fine for me as well. In any case the custom one that I pictured works great.

If you have any questions you could reach out to Valerie, in my experience she is very responsive. You can find her email address at the website that Dave linked to in the first post of this thread.

Comment

• Shinn
                        • Feb 2020

Valerie created a custom strap for my double bell euphonium - works great!!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Shinn; 05-09-2022, 08:20 PM.
                        David Shinn
                        Peninsula Concert Band
                        Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                        1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                        1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                        1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                        Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Shinn View Post
                          Valerie created a custom strap for my double bell euphonium - works great!!
                          Nice!
                          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• tonewheeler
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                            I'm going to order one too. Don't need it all the time but I'm sure it will come in handy for 'standing gigs'. Thanks for the info and for Valerie doing these.
                            Hey Rick, I'm getting ready to order mine for my 5050. How did yours work out with your 5050??

TIA,
                            Dan
                            Euphs:
                            Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                            Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                            Yamaha 201 Baritone
                            Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                            Groups:
                            The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• RickF
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tonewheeler View Post
                              Hey Rick, I'm getting ready to order mine for my 5050. How did yours work out with your 5050??

TIA,
                              Dan
                              It worked but not when attached to the outer bow. Had to attach around the 3rd valve slide. Valerie offered to make any necessary changes but I declined deciding I really didn’t need it.
                              Rick Floyd
                              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                              Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• aroberts781
                                • Sep 2014

That is a cool custom strap on your double bell David. I think it is great how Valerie is willing to make customizations to her straps to fit unique circumstances.

I am currently using the same slightly modified/custom Comfy Euph Strap from my post on 8/15/21 on my 3-valve New Standard, and it works great on that horn as well. I initially thought I would be fine without a strap on my New Standard since it was a bit smaller and lighter and just had different ergonomics for me in general than the Schiller. However when I found a new home for the Schiller I put the strap on the New Standard and love it!
                                Last edited by aroberts781; 05-11-2022, 11:10 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                                X