Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Hand Strap: "Comfy Euph Strap"

1. The Strap2 version appears to be made with nylon webbing which I suspect is a bit stiff. I make my straps from multiple layers of soft, flexible cotton twill, similar to fabric that Levi's Dockers slacks are made from. My lining choices are (1) black fleece, a soft, cushy & fuzzy fabric or (2) cream colored Sherpa which is just a bit thicker than the black fleece and has a wooly pile that's soft, cushy & furry. Straps with either lining function the same. I can't honestly say that one is more comfy than the other. The main difference is color. I'm guessing that the black fleece may be more durable, but I can't say because I haven't used either long enough to make an honest comparison. I only began adding lining about a year ago. (My personal Comfy Horn strap black fleece lining is holding up beautifully.) Perhaps someone in this forum will eventually give us feedback on that comparison.
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-09-2018 at 08:40 AM.

2. Willing to work with special needs

When I make straps for F. Horns that do not have a pinky hook to secure it, I include a velcro adhesive tab that the instrument owner can apply to his horn. Underside of the strap has added Velcro that will stick to the sticky tab. The Velcro manufacturer claims that their adhesive does not damage furniture finishes, but I can't guarantee this. ---OR--- I could alternatively sew a non slip rubbery material to the underside of the strap where it wraps around the instrument tubing. I am willing to work with anyone who wants to experiment with this. I cheerfully accept returns for exchange, refund or modifications. I want each client to be happy.

NO ONE SHOULD FEEL STUCK WITH AN ILL FITTING STRAP. If you strap is too long, too short, to whatever, please ship it back to me and I will modify it & return it to you for no charge.
    Last edited by vwells; 04-17-2018 at 07:35 PM.

CORRECTION: I got word from Bill Ricker that I was mistaken about the Strap2 version being made in China. I'm sorry for that confusion. Somehow when Bill supplied me with Strap2 my memory says that I heard directly from him that it was made in China. It's possible he mentioned a different product made in China or that I mis-heard him. I believe that conversation was at ITEC 2016, where it was nearly impossible to have a quiet, intelligible conversation with anyone at the exhibits! In any case, I corrected as many of the posts as I could, only leaving the China reference to the ones commenting on the photo where I could not edit the wording.

No further word on when Bill might be resuming the website, though.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    CORRECTION: I got word from Bill Ricker that I was mistaken about the Strap2 version being made in China. I'm sorry for that confusion. Somehow when Bill supplied me with Strap2 my memory says that I heard directly from him that it was made in China. It's possible he mentioned a different product made in China or that I mis-heard him. I believe that conversation was at ITEC 2016, where it was nearly impossible to have a quiet, intelligible conversation with anyone at the exhibits! In any case, I corrected as many of the posts as I could, only leaving the China reference to the ones commenting on the photo where I could not edit the wording.

No further word on when Bill might be resuming the website, though.
    I have what was therefore thought to be the Chinese version and have sent a picture with dimensions to Valerie so she is aware that I need a longer hand strap it is on order for delivery to UK. Will post a review when it arrives

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I just recv'd mine today. I ordered the 'basic black' with fleece (which is also black BTW) on the 20th I think it was and it came in 3 days! Very well made of good quality materials. Thanks Valerie.
    Rather than edit my post (quoted above) thought it better to make a follow up: The strap is excellently made but doesn’t work for me on my M5050. The problem is the M5050 is wider than most horns so when the strap is afixed to the outer bow, you can only get 3 fingers in the strap and still reach the 4th valve. It will work if I attach the strap to the 3rd slide - but I don’t like putting that much weight on the 3rd slide.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Rather than edit my post (quoted above) thought it better to make a follow up: The strap is excellently made but doesn’t work for me on my M5050. The problem is the M5050 is wider than most horns so when the strap is afixed to the outer bow, you can only get 3 fingers in the strap and still reach the 4th valve. It will work if I attach the strap to the 3rd slide - but I don’t like putting that much weight on the 3rd slide.
    Rick, Valerie recently asked me how my straps were and if I thought they were too long. The short answer is I love them and they are longer than *I* need them to be. But I was reluctant to say they should be made shorter, and your experience shows that my reluctance was perhaps well based.

Valerie has posted that she is happy to work to make a strap for different hands & horns. I'm not sure I understand the fit issue exactly. Would a longer hand piece solve your issue? Or is there some other modification that might help? The 5050 is a fairly popular model and she might want to devise a template for that horn.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hi Dave. I don't think a longer strap would help. When the strap is attached to the outer bow there's an angle created to get to the palm area of the left hand because of the longer reach. Maybe I can take a picture later.

Having some frustrations with my PC on Win10 right now. The update to iTunes last nigh was HUGE at 275meg. Not sure everything is running right. Took 45 mins to start with 3 re-starts.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

8. I will add my 2 cents...

I have the "version 1" strap, and I will attempt to attach an image. The strap in the picture is as it would be on the horn, and there is a length of strap where the Velcro hooks and loops do not overlap, so the strap kind of gets out of alignment there. There is no Velcro between the red arrows, but I think it would be an improvement if there were. Perhaps that has already been corrected, and if so, never mind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Euph strap.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	5999

After more testing, it doesn't fit as bad as I first thought. It is more comfortable and supports the horn better when attached to the 3rd slide -- which I wouldn't do. It will take a bit more experimenting or practice but should work when attached to the outer bow. Here are some pictures.

Attached to outer bow it looks a little too far out:

Hand in strap when connected to outer bow:

Strap on 3rd slide:

Hand in strap when on 3rd slide:

Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

10. Return for modification

Send your strap back to me. I will modify it for no charge.
    Last edited by vwells; 04-10-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast