Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Hand Strap: "Comfy Euph Strap"

1. I received my hand strap back around the end of March and have been using it since then....thought I would do a little review since I’ve been using it consistently since then.

I love this thing! I tend to be a “belly hugger” when I play and had considered getting/making a lap pad for a while before deciding to try the strap first.

I play on a hirsbrunner and the strap fits just great. There seems to be a lot of adjustability. It’s longer than it needs to be for my horn, but with it adjusted properly there’s not too much extra strap hanging off or anything of that sort (so no modification needed at all).

I’ve found that when using the strap, I tend to hold the weight of the horn more evenly without pulling it in against myself. This was my goal. My left hand also tends to not get tired as quickly.....the strap puts the weight of the horn kind of on the knuckle of my index finger where it meets my hand, so my thumb stays relaxed and my index finger is free to work 4th valve. My right hand also seems to have less tension because I’m not trying to hold the weight of the horn much if at all with that hand.

In short, the strap seems to relieve a lot of tension for me......highly recommend!

Wow this sounds extremely useful! Wonder if I can find any China straps around my place. Hmm

I am curious about the differences between this and the QHR velcro euphonium strap.

Can anyone give me a run down on the differences between them?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    I am curious about the differences between this and the QHR velcro euphonium strap.

Can anyone give me a run down on the differences between them?

Thank you!
    Long overdue answer, here! The 2 straps used to be identical because Valerie Wells made the QHR strap for Bill Ricker. Two things have changed since then.

The QHR strap is now made by a different source. The material is "harder" and not quite as comfortable, but otherwise the quality seems fine.

Valerie has made some improvements in hers. She still uses the same cotton duck fabric but now offers an inner layer that is very soft and makes the strap even more comfortable. In addition, because she makes each by hand, she can make them in a variety of colors and can offer edge stitching in contrasting colors if you want.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Just got a new strap. Feels much softer than my old QHR strap. Valerie also has some really great patterns!

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	7130

I recived the strap last week and I tried it on Sunday during a gathering of bands where we had to travel a stretch of road marching: the strap proved to be very useful for supporting my Prestige. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15689683502779161027378550130102.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	7166
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I did a short video (after I edited out a lot of long-winded stuff!) on the hand strap:

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

After a mont of using euph hand straps I must say tha I'm pleasantly surprised by its usefulness even when sitting. Place the left hand at an angle that keeps the forearm and hand muscles relaxed, while leaving the forefinger and thumb free to act on the 4th button and trigger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191021_170902.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	7223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191021_170843.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	7224
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I got one of these straps a couple of years ago and never felt like I was able to get it adjusted properly. I'm not sure if it has to do with where the brace is on the Schiller that I play, but I could never get the loop that my hand goes in "short" enough such that I could relax my left hand and still have the horn in a good playing position for my left hand. When I relax my left hand and try to let the strap support the horn more than my fingers, the 4th valve lines up more with my left middle finger instead of my left index finger. Had anyone else had a similar problem and found a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    I got one of these straps a couple of years ago and never felt like I was able to get it adjusted properly. I'm not sure if it has to do with where the brace is on the Schiller that I play, but I could never get the loop that my hand goes in "short" enough such that I could relax my left hand and still have the horn in a good playing position for my left hand. When I relax my left hand and try to let the strap support the horn more than my fingers, the 4th valve lines up more with my left middle finger instead of my left index finger. Had anyone else had a similar problem and found a solution?
    Do any Schiller owners here have the strap?

Which strap do you have? Is it from Valerie or the QHR strap? (A couple years back QHR straps had a more course "weave" to the fabric.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast