Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vwells
    • Mar 2018

Thanks. I'm not operating at a loss. I've developed a manufacturing system that is fast & very efficient. How I make these so quickly is my well guarded trade secret! ha ha ha!
    Last edited by vwells; 04-17-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• IaMichael
      • Sep 2017

Here's a question concerning if this strap may help with a problem I've started to notice with the set of mouthpiece to lip.

I'm a 'larger' person with a bit of a 'spare tire' around the middle. Recently (last November) switched from a Yamaha 321 to a Wessex Dolce. When I first got the Yamaha (and didn't yet have the spare tire), I used a Stewart stand. When I could no longer use my Stewart stand on the Yamaha, I just cradled the horn in crook of my left arm. Mouthpiece position/pressure was good on upper/lower lips; no problems.

When I got the Wessex, I just went with the same cradling. However, while playing longer sections during rehearsals, I've noticed that I'd started resting the bottom of the horn on my 'spare tire shelf', resulting in the horn angle changing and putting more mouthpiece pressure on my bottom lip. Frustrating because I start out consciously positioning the mouthpiece correctly, but while concentrating on the music, my left arm lets the horn rest back on 'the shelf'.

Would this strap help me towards keeping my horn 'off the shelf'?

Thanks!
      Meinl-Weston 451S
      Yamaha 321S with 5th valve (1983)
      Buescher U.S.QMC Double-Bell (1939)

Comment

• MikeS
        • Apr 2012

I just got my second strap. I ordered another one after discovering that it really worked well on my three-valve British baritone. It takes some strain out of the left hand and makes it more comfortable to hold the instrument for long periods. I also want to mention that Valerie is a true joy to work with and her customer service is second to none.
        Last edited by MikeS; 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM. Reason: Add “three valve”

Comment

• jkircoff
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by IaMichael View Post
          Would this strap help me towards keeping my horn 'off the shelf'?
          I'd say yes. A fully compensating euphonium is a challenge to hold properly throughout an entire rehearsal or concert no matter what shape you're in. The strap will help, but it won't cure positioning issues through long playing durations.
          James Kircoff
          Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
          Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• miketeachesclass
            • Feb 2016

I received mine last week, and it's a delight in comparison with the chinese made version I had. Most excellent!
            Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
            Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• EuphGuy
              • Apr 2007

I received my hand strap back around the end of March and have been using it since then....thought I would do a little review since I’ve been using it consistently since then.

I love this thing! I tend to be a “belly hugger” when I play and had considered getting/making a lap pad for a while before deciding to try the strap first.

I play on a hirsbrunner and the strap fits just great. There seems to be a lot of adjustability. It’s longer than it needs to be for my horn, but with it adjusted properly there’s not too much extra strap hanging off or anything of that sort (so no modification needed at all).

I’ve found that when using the strap, I tend to hold the weight of the horn more evenly without pulling it in against myself. This was my goal. My left hand also tends to not get tired as quickly.....the strap puts the weight of the horn kind of on the knuckle of my index finger where it meets my hand, so my thumb stays relaxed and my index finger is free to work 4th valve. My right hand also seems to have less tension because I’m not trying to hold the weight of the horn much if at all with that hand.

In short, the strap seems to relieve a lot of tension for me......highly recommend!

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                • Jun 2018

Wow this sounds extremely useful! Wonder if I can find any China straps around my place. Hmm
                "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                  • Jun 2018

I am curious about the differences between this and the QHR velcro euphonium strap.

Can anyone give me a run down on the differences between them?

Thank you!
                  "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                  Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
                    I am curious about the differences between this and the QHR velcro euphonium strap.

Can anyone give me a run down on the differences between them?

Thank you!
                    Long overdue answer, here! The 2 straps used to be identical because Valerie Wells made the QHR strap for Bill Ricker. Two things have changed since then.

The QHR strap is now made by a different source. The material is "harder" and not quite as comfortable, but otherwise the quality seems fine.

Valerie has made some improvements in hers. She still uses the same cotton duck fabric but now offers an inner layer that is very soft and makes the strap even more comfortable. In addition, because she makes each by hand, she can make them in a variety of colors and can offer edge stitching in contrasting colors if you want.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                    YouTube: dwerden
                    Facebook: davewerden
                    Twitter: davewerden
                    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• mbrooke
                      • Jan 2006

Just got a new strap. Feels much softer than my old QHR strap. Valerie also has some really great patterns!

Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	117571

Comment

• franz
                        • Dec 2015

I recived the strap last week and I tried it on Sunday during a gathering of bands where we had to travel a stretch of road marching: the strap proved to be very useful for supporting my Prestige. Click image for larger version

Name:	15689683502779161027378550130102.jpg
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	117579
                        2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

I did a short video (after I edited out a lot of long-winded stuff!) on the hand strap:

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• franz
                            • Dec 2015

After a mont of using euph hand straps I must say tha I'm pleasantly surprised by its usefulness even when sitting. Place the left hand at an angle that keeps the forearm and hand muscles relaxed, while leaving the forefinger and thumb free to act on the 4th button and trigger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_170902.jpg
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	117602 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_170843.jpg
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	117603
                            2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• aroberts781
                              • Sep 2014

I got one of these straps a couple of years ago and never felt like I was able to get it adjusted properly. I'm not sure if it has to do with where the brace is on the Schiller that I play, but I could never get the loop that my hand goes in "short" enough such that I could relax my left hand and still have the horn in a good playing position for my left hand. When I relax my left hand and try to let the strap support the horn more than my fingers, the 4th valve lines up more with my left middle finger instead of my left index finger. Had anyone else had a similar problem and found a solution?
                              1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
                              1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• davewerden
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by aroberts781 View Post
                                I got one of these straps a couple of years ago and never felt like I was able to get it adjusted properly. I'm not sure if it has to do with where the brace is on the Schiller that I play, but I could never get the loop that my hand goes in "short" enough such that I could relax my left hand and still have the horn in a good playing position for my left hand. When I relax my left hand and try to let the strap support the horn more than my fingers, the 4th valve lines up more with my left middle finger instead of my left index finger. Had anyone else had a similar problem and found a solution?
                                Do any Schiller owners here have the strap?

Which strap do you have? Is it from Valerie or the QHR strap? (A couple years back QHR straps had a more course "weave" to the fabric.)
                                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                                Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

Working...
                                X