Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Hand Strap: "Comfy Euph Strap"

1. Please everyone, don't be afraid to return your strap(s) for modification. I don't charge for modifications. -Valerie

That’s a great offer Valerie. Thank you, but this should work when I need it.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Quote Originally Posted by vwells View Post
    Please everyone, don't be afraid to return your strap(s) for modification. I don't charge for modifications. -Valerie
    That's very generous Valerie - I hope you're not operating at a loss for the service you're providing!

BTW I've been using strap I bought from you a few weeks ago every time I've played euphonium, and it's been a real help. I'm planning on using it indefinitely, and recommending it to other players.

4. "I am not sure if I have version 1 or 2 from QHR but it is quite short when used on my besson prestige 2052"

If it has a QHR label on it and made of webbing straps instead of fabric, it is likely the shorter strap that was not made by me. If it's plain black and made of multiple layers of cotton twill fabric it was made by me. The length of the longer hand strap on the original Euphonium hand strap that I made for Bill Ricker was aproximately 13 inches when opened up.

5. I really appreciate the pictures and information. The measuring tape picture was very helpful for me.

6. Thanks. I'm not operating at a loss. I've developed a manufacturing system that is fast & very efficient. How I make these so quickly is my well guarded trade secret! ha ha ha!
    Last edited by vwells; 04-17-2018 at 08:21 PM.

7. Here's a question concerning if this strap may help with a problem I've started to notice with the set of mouthpiece to lip.

I'm a 'larger' person with a bit of a 'spare tire' around the middle. Recently (last November) switched from a Yamaha 321 to a Wessex Dolce. When I first got the Yamaha (and didn't yet have the spare tire), I used a Stewart stand. When I could no longer use my Stewart stand on the Yamaha, I just cradled the horn in crook of my left arm. Mouthpiece position/pressure was good on upper/lower lips; no problems.

When I got the Wessex, I just went with the same cradling. However, while playing longer sections during rehearsals, I've noticed that I'd started resting the bottom of the horn on my 'spare tire shelf', resulting in the horn angle changing and putting more mouthpiece pressure on my bottom lip. Frustrating because I start out consciously positioning the mouthpiece correctly, but while concentrating on the music, my left arm lets the horn rest back on 'the shelf'.

Would this strap help me towards keeping my horn 'off the shelf'?

Thanks!
    Meinl-Weston 451S
    Yamaha 321S with 5th valve (1983)
    Buescher U.S.QMC Double-Bell (1939)

8. I just got my second strap. I ordered another one after discovering that it really worked well on my three-valve British baritone. It takes some strain out of the left hand and makes it more comfortable to hold the instrument for long periods. I also want to mention that Valerie is a true joy to work with and her customer service is second to none.
    Last edited by MikeS; 04-20-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Add “three valve”

9. Quote Originally Posted by IaMichael View Post
    Would this strap help me towards keeping my horn 'off the shelf'?
    I'd say yes. A fully compensating euphonium is a challenge to hold properly throughout an entire rehearsal or concert no matter what shape you're in. The strap will help, but it won't cure positioning issues through long playing durations.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

I received mine last week, and it's a delight in comparison with the chinese made version I had. Most excellent!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast