Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philip Sparke Euphonium pieces

1. Philip Sparke Euphonium pieces

How come it seems like most of Philip Sparke's pieces have very present Euphonium parts/melodies? Is he a Euphonium player himself? I absolutely love playing his pieces, I had the opportunity to play Orient Express some time ago.

Sparke comes from the British tradition. In their writing the euphonium is still a very important voice. In American music by contemporary composers, the euphonium is often not well-understood. If a college composition major takes an orchestration course, euphonium is mostly/totally ignored.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Sparke comes from the British tradition. In their writing the euphonium is still a very important voice. In American music by contemporary composers, the euphonium is often not well-understood. If a college composition major takes an orchestration course, euphonium is mostly/totally ignored.
    Well, all I have to say about composition majors ignoring euphonium is the same thing Gayle McCormick sang about way back in 1971. "It's a Crying Shame"!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

He also just might love euphonium more than any other composer alive today. 3 euphonium concertos plus at least a dozen other solos for it.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

In American music by contemporary composers, the euphonium is often not well-understood. If a college composition major takes an orchestration course, euphonium is mostly/totally ignored.
    True in contemporary wind band writing, where the euphonium is too often seen as merely a "tenor tuba." Gracious! I so dislike that label. We got better parts from American composers when the euphonium was called a baritone; now we're too often consigned to doubling the bass tubas on the octave.

Sparke is a master at writing melodies and understands the role of the euphonium in those melodies. In the early 90's I heard Steve Mead play Pantomime and was hooked on Sparke's music.

I suggest listening to two brass band pieces with great euph parts. 1) Mountain Song and 2) Jubilee Overture. As far as solo music, beyond Pantomime, Song for Ina and Party Piece are terrific among others. Song for Ina has been played to death but is still one of the great slow melody pieces for euph written in the last 20 years.

7. Slightly off topic: In 1998 I was the soloist on a wind ensemble tour of the British Isles. The last concert was in a tiny medieval church about 40 miles outside of London. Solo went off well, afterwards I Snedecor ck across the narrow street to the local pub with one of the tour guides for a beer. 10 minutes later who walks in but Philip Sparke. Turns out he was in the front tow. I’m glad I didn’t know at the time or I might have bombed!
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    True in contemporary wind band writing, where the euphonium is too often seen as merely a "tenor tuba." Gracious! I so dislike that label. We got better parts from American composers when the euphonium was called a baritone; now we're too often consigned to doubling the bass tubas on the octave.
    More often then not unfortunately, The euphonium part also ends up doubling something (especially the 2nd or 3rd trombone part) or the tenor saxophone in particular doubles the euphonium . It might just do the 'elastic' scoring with the composer not knowing if a wind band will have a decent euphonium player or section.

Quote Originally Posted by euphlight View Post
    More often then not unfortunately, The euphonium part also ends up doubling something (especially the 2nd or 3rd trombone part) or the tenor saxophone in particular doubles the euphonium . It might just do the 'elastic' scoring with the composer not knowing if a wind band will have a decent euphonium player or section.
    That reminds me! You mention one of my pet peeves. I even talk about it specifically in my Scoring for Euphonium booklet. If the euphonium section doubles any of the trombone voices it will throw the chord balance way off. Two or more euphoniums make a very large sound. I encourage composers to split the parts (which Sparke often does).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

That reminds me! You mention one of my pet peeves. I even talk about it specifically in my Scoring for Euphonium booklet. If the euphonium section doubles any of the trombone voices it will throw the chord balance way off. Two or more euphoniums make a very large sound. I encourage composers to split the parts (which Sparke often does).
    Wow! Whenever I play music that doubles one of the trombone parts, it always "feels" very strange to my ears. That completely makes sense, that it throws the chord balance off. However, there are times when there is a divisi in the euphonium part that doubles trombones 1 and 2, while the tubas and bass trombone are doubled. This does work, but the former is much more common. That explains a lot!
    Jonah Zimmerman

Adams E1 Euphonium- SM4UX
    Yamaha Xeno 8820- Greg Black New York 5.5RW

Florida State University
    Graduate Teaching Assistant of Euphonium

Bachelor's of Music Education 2018
    Columbus State University

jonahzmusic@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast