Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbrown
    • Mar 2014

I have a wessex festivo and a king 2280. So far as I'm concerned, they are both great. If I were allowed to have only one, I don't know if I could make up my mind... Except I bought the festivo because it has valves on the front that makes it more comfortable for my bad shoulder and ruptured disk in my neck. I was going to sell the king but as good as it plays, I hate to let it go.

If the Dolce is comparable with the festivo, it will be more than sufficient....

Comment

• aroberts781
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tkthomp View Post
      Which is to say, is there a compelling reason to pay $1000-$1500 used/ $2400 new for a non-compensating Yamaha 321 or King 2280 when a new compensating Wessex Dolce or JP274 can be had for ~$1200?
      That is the big question, isn't it? With the new Chinese horns, it really does seem like you get a lot for the money. I have been very happy with my Schiller, and I think your son would be very happy with the Wessex or JP.

I was similar to your son in that I played through college and was fairly active in the music department, but I did not major in music. I played on a school-owned 642. If your son thinks he will be playing euphonium in a wind ensemble in college, a modern compensating horn will almost certainly be what the other players are using. It seems like a non-compensating horn will have a different sound within the ensemble that may not necessarily be desirable.

However, there are certainly great players making great music with the 321 and 2280, so it is hard for me to say that musically there is a clear answer between the non-comps and Chinese comps. If you are just looking at the "value proposition", the Chinese compensating horns have a lot to offer.

I also think that ernstlanzer's post is probably pretty indicative of the comparisons between the Wessex and a vintage Besson, which is after all the whole point of this thread.
      1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
      1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• Sara Hood
        • Mar 2017

Which horn for your son?

As the one funding this horn, it is ultimately up to you. Here is my two cents. Buy him as much of a horn as you can reasonably afford. I recently purchased my first baritone, as opposed to always using a loaner. I found that the difference in price between compensating and non-compensating was not as much as between say a lacquered brass and silver finish. While I am just a hobby musician, I found a compensating instrument to be the way to go.

You say that he is serious about his interest/passion in/for music, and that his main instrument is trombone. Well as someone so moved by music, I think that he is going to want something near pro-level for any instrument he plays on and owns. It will be nice to have a high quality horn to double with, when he does decide to alternate. He will probably find more call (demand/opportunities) for his skills on trombone, than on euphonium, but that does not mean that he shouldn't have a nice euphonium to fall back on.

As to whether you should go with a used top-of-the-line brand, or a new Chinese stencil, all other things being equal, that is a tough one.

I love my JinBao Baritone (a Chinese stencil). Their factory also makes Wessex, Schiller, Mack Brass, and a few other respected names. They are cloned off of the best of what the brass instrument world has to offer. So they have a lot going for them without the same price tag. What they don't have is the same level of customer service and history of name recognition. By buying from a big name, domestic dealer, like Wessex, you get the customer service and quality control that might otherwise be lacking when buying a horn manufactured on the other side of the planet.

On the other hand, used Yamaha, Besson, Adams, and Sterlings are very nice horns and are respected names. They are so highly regarded that even their used instruments are sought after and have retained a lot of their value. Besson, for example, is the byword in the English speaking world, for what a Euphonium should sound like.

If this gift is not intended as a surprise, maybe you should let him pick. Tell him you will pay up to (insert your budget amount) for the horn of his choosing. Then give him the info you have gathered from this forum, and let him do the shopping. You may find yourself going all over the place "test driving" horns, but he is sure to find one that he is in love with. And as a musician, the love affair between player and instrument can be all the difference in the world.

Hope you and he have fun looking for a horn (smile).
        - Sara Hood

PS This should also help you to determine whether his being "smitten" is a passing fancy, or a serious interest in the euphonium. And there are plenty of trombonist/euph-ist dual instrument playing folks out there, so don't be surprised if he loves both.
        Last edited by Sara Hood; 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM. Reason: Took John Packer out of my list of stencils because I discovered that they are made in a different factory/brand in China.
        Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

• Shiner99
          • Mar 2017

l'm a life long trombone (Conn 88H) and euphonium player (Yamaha 321 since middle school). my daughter is decent freshman high school euph/trombone player. when wanted to upgrade her, went through similar discussion. for trombone, went with standard advice, stick with a used classic, and got her an old King 4B. for euphonium, tried to use same logic, but when reviewed options, had to go with the Wessex Dolce. wildly impressed. sold my Yamaha euphonium shortly after. we use the Dennis Wick 4AL with the Wessex and 5AL with my 88H which makes switching back and forth easy and comfortable. strongly recommend Wessex dolce for your son.
          Last edited by Shiner99; 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X