Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss my Kanstul - do you own it?

I miss my Kanstul - do you own it?

Hey all, after a few years out of the Air Force band, I really miss my Kanstul 976 with the 11" bell. We had two, and I think the band traded them in on some new instruments from Dillon or Baltimore brass. Anybody know someone who picked one of these up? I would love to track one down.

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you took my suggestion to post here. I'd hate to see a beloved instrument not find its home again!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by WillJones View Post
    Hey all, after a few years out of the Air Force band, I really miss my Kanstul 976 with the 11" bell.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this horn! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I don't have yours since mine came new from The Horn Guys. In any case, it kinda wouldn't matter because I'm not giving mine up!

One question, though... did yours ever have problems with the valve felts not cushioning much? It seems like pretty soon after I got mine the valve felts were compressed and the valve upstrokes where "thumpy", for lack of a better term.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

4. I'd never heard of Kanstul euphoniums until now, but they sound like they are top-notch instruments.

Will Jones -- the U.S. Air Force Concert Band is my favorite. They toured in my city a couple of years ago, and I got to chat with Col. Lang for a few minutes, which was an absolute treat!

Maybe I do. I bought my first horn from Dillon about three years ago I think. I would need to pull the records to get the for sure date. They told me it was a trade in from an 'army' band, but they could have been partly guessing and it was actually AF. I'm at Wright Patt, if you know someone in the Band of Flight, they could look at it for you.

Chris
    Last edited by CEBunker; 03-07-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	5938

This is the horn.

Chris
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

FYI, i was able to contact Will through work. We are investigating whether or not the Kanstul is his old Kanstul.
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7229BA81-699B-4D3A-81A0-E6DCC67C3B01.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	6158

Hello All,

Just a happy update; we were able to reunite Will Jones with his AF euphonium!

I really enjoyed the opportunity to talk with a hear a very talented player!

Regards

Chris
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

There is more to this story, I just know it. Chris, Will, please tell us more about what happened to make this reunion happen. I love these kind of stories. And what will you be playing going forward Chris?

Now all we need is a sound and video clip of the two of you playing a duet as a grand finale.
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

I met Will Jones many years ago when the Air Force Band came to West Palm Beach, FL. Great guy! I see now he's a Lt. Col. so he can't be doing music at that rank I don't believe. Congrats!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast