Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gearheads - help me find what I'm looking for

The screw-on weight seems to center the sound better for me, or maybe there are more overtones. I think Ivan and Chris Castellanos did the majority of the research on this. I don't claim to be an engineer by any means. I just like the way it plays better when the weight is touching the face of the lead pipe.

Robert Pendergast, DM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17807585_10155809325474057_8783213902203817869_o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	5934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5051.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	5935

That screw-on weight is very interesting! May I assume the technique is to seat the mouthpiece and then turn the weight until it is firm against the leadpipe (without loosening the shank's seating)?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    That screw-on weight is very interesting! May I assume the technique is to seat the mouthpiece and then turn the weight until it is firm against the leadpipe (without loosening the shank's seating)?
    That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeEuph View Post
    He sent me a J cup with the 104. The 103 with an I cup I think is a step smaller with regards to both. IF the cup depth is the issue with the 'industrial overtones', then that would possibly be a great fit.
    Not sure what you mean by "industrial overtones". But when it comes to sound issues, sometimes going a little smaller is the answer. The hollow sound you mentioned in your first post might simply be a lack of core to the sound. If that's the case, smaller (rim, cup, or both) may help. Contact Doug and describe the problem you are having and see what he suggests.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12