Thread: Experiment with modified springs

Experiment with modified springs

On my Miraphone 5050 I've been bothered by a bit noisy 1st valve spring. I'm sure it's the 1st valve spring because I removed the others in case they were vibrating in sympathy. Since I 'stretched it out some' last year, I was pretty certain it was not perfectly vertical. These are stainless steel and the heavier duty type (P/N: 003314400029) for the M5050. So I ordered some replacements from Badger State Repair. They came in, put in the new set and was hearing the same noise. It's not real loud, but I hear it and it's definitely spring noise. SO... I took my old spring from #1 and cleaned it real well in a small ultra-sonic cleaner I have then dipped each end of that spring into a can of Plasti-Dip. This is that stuff that's used to coat or cover the handles of pliers and such. For tools it takes maybe 10 to 15 coats to get it thick. I only dipped the spring 2 or 3 times. So far this seems to be working. It remains to be seen if this coating will come off like the plastic coating eventually comes off the Yamaha springs. Here's hoping. See pics below:

The bottom of the spring (larger diameter) I only dipped twice because I wanted it to still fit in the groove of the bottom valve cap seen below. The Miraphone folks are pretty ingenious designing their caps to accommodate two different sized springs. See below:

Last edited by RickF; 02-22-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Cool application.

Another tip; a tiny drop of milk of magnesia will keep stainless screws from galling/sticking in a stainless nut.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Of course I tried using flat rubber washers of different dimensions first. One in the bottom cap defeats the use of that groove. A smaller rubber washer above the spring only works for awhile as the washer moves down within the spring itself. Just hope the plasti-dip stays put.
    Last edited by RickF; 02-23-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

While I was playing Sterling (and perhaps even now, I don't know) they were manually threading heat-shrinkable tubing over the whole spring. They actually used 2 piece, one starting from each end. That was a very tedious job. But I would think you could thread a couple inches worth from the two ends and then heat it so it holds in place. You might need to use a little soap to help it slide on the metal spring.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hmm? Thanks, something to keep in mind.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Plasti-Dip - As Seen On TV - But Wait -- There's More!!
    Sorry about the flippancy. Yes. I agree. I have to try that, as I have other instruements that have springs that just will not quiet down. Caveat: be sparing. It would be to easy to get a big glob on a spring and upset the balance in that regard. I wish they had Plasti-Dip when I owned a Besson 3-valve comp BBb tuba with the 17 inch bell all those years ago! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    Plasti-Dip - As Seen On TV - But Wait -- There's More!!
    “Caveat: be sparing. It would be to easy to get a big glob on a spring and upset the balance in that regard.”
    Yep, when dipping it’s thick enough to leave a film across the spring opening. After a few seconds when the film became thin, I popped it with a tooth pick.

This is same stuff that a lot of hot-rodders use to coat their wheels for a different look. If they don’t like, it can be peeled off fairly easily. The ‘peeling off easily’ is what concerns me. We’ll see if it lasts.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Update...
    Plasti-Dip didn't last. When cleaning out my horn today I noticed it had come loose so pulled it off. I actually had taken it off the narrow end of the spring last month due to it starting to loosen. Then at Dave's suggestion, I tried threading some clear heat shrink tubing over that end. Tedious is right! I couldn't get it more than an inch on to that end due to resistance of the curve. Maybe I should have used a bit of soapy water on the spring first - then rinse before shrinking.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Maybe I should have used a bit of soapy water on the spring first - then rinse before shrinking.
    Yep! I should have mentioned that. I don't think there is any need to rinse. If you think you can get water to flow throw under the tubing, I suppose it couldn't hurt, though.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium