Thread: Case or Gig Bag for Double Bell?

Case or Gig Bag for Double Bell?

Thanks to the online auction site we all know and love, combined with my financial irresponsibility and H.A.S. (Horn Acquisition Syndrome)... I've got a 1917 Conn USQMC double bell on the way. It is large bell fixed upright (11"), small bell forward and removable (unknown flare diameter), 3+1 valve configuration.

It has no case of any kind. Being 100 years old and a little beat-up as it is, I have the motivation to get a case for it so it is well-protected and easier to transport. Any recommendations?
    Avid horn collector, check my profile to see what I've got (not enough room to reasonably squeeze 14 horns down here!)
    YouTube Channel: TheNEWTrombonium

Congratulations, and thanks for helping preserve our history!

Altieri advertises that they will gladly make a custom case for a double bell. I have seen some DB's on eBay placed inside some stock hard cases, but those were usually ones with 2 curved bells where the case had more surplus room. But you still might be able to find a hard case that fits it. Not sure where to look, though.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I had a 1911 Conn DB in the same configuration. It had a case. That case was just like a standard euphonium case. To use the case, I removed the small bell and the horn fit like any euphonium. In this situation, there was a place for the small bell next to the fixed large bell. So, when you get the horn, see if the small bell is removable, if it is, then look for a case that will accommodate the horn without the small bell. You should be able to find a spot in the case to put the small bell.

4. Altieri made a gig bag for my 1941 Holton 5 valve double bell. It is very nice.
    Also, have a Conn similar to, but slightly older than your 1917, with an original case in pretty rough condition.
    Will try to get a picture of the case and link it.
    I receive frequent complaints about the size of my euph herd.
    Jim
    Jim Babbitt
    1960s 4 valve and 1971 3 valve Besson New Standards (Denis Wick 6BM) for regular playing
    1936 Conn 5 valve 30I Double Bell (Bach 6-1/2AL) General Purpose Back -Up
    1924 Buescher 5 valve (the Denis Wick is close) and 1940 Holton 5 valve (Bach 6-1/2AL) Double Bells for kicks.
    1860s OTS Saxhorn when history is required (the Denis Wick fits)

5. Have some pics of a 1901 Conn 4 valve Double Bell Euph case.
    Could not get them to insert.
    May be a size issue I am not aware of.
    Jim
    Jim Babbitt
    1960s 4 valve and 1971 3 valve Besson New Standards (Denis Wick 6BM) for regular playing
    1924 Buescher 5 valve (the Denis Wick is close) and 1940 Holton 5 valve (Bach 6-1/2AL) Double Bells for kicks.

6. Pics of a 1901 ish 4 valve Conn Double Bell case
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1901 Conn DB Euph Case Open v2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	5912

Name:	1901 Conn DB Euph Case Side v2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	5913

Name:	1901 Conn DB Euph Case Top v2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	5914
    Jim Babbitt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Babbitt View Post
    Pics of a 1901 ish 4 valve Conn Double Bell case
    Wow - I've never seen a euphonium case (single or double bell) quite like that!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium