Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB - Compensating Euph for Doubler, <$1000

1. WTB - Compensating Euph for Doubler, <$1000

Hi there,

I'm a trombonist looking to upgrade from my student model besson Euphonium.

What I'm looking for:
    • Compensating System
    • 4 Valve
    • Under $1000

Brand, condition doesn't matter to me. Would prefer if one came in a decent case and if your horn is medium shank, throwing in a mouthpiece would be great as well so I do not need to search for one.

This is my first post so I'm not sure whether your private message system is any good... If email is preferred, just let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks!
    Kyle

Welcome to the forum! I'll keep my eyes open for something in your price range. It could be either a very rough Besson or a decent/nice Wessex or Mack Brass. We'll see what develops and what our members may have to offer.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Here is one possibility. It is a known brand, and a few of our members are happily using one. This is an auction starting at $725. If it does not go much higher it could be a good buy. It's several years old and may not play quite as well as a brand-new one, so I would not want to spend as much as a thousand on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiller-El...l/132513196341
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I'm going to be selling my Wessex Dolce from 2016 here in the next week or so - $800 (not incl shipping) and you get the original case and MP.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

TromboneConcerto - while I would possibly make a small commission on the eBay sale, I think you'd be better off with Jake's horn if you guys can work it out. It would be a newer instrument with some improvements made since the eBay instrument, and I assume is in better condition.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Here's video of me playing with the San Francisco Wind Ensemble last month
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oduit4FweuQ

I only bought the Wessex because I had a baby and needed money so I sold my Adams. The horn is SO MUCH BETTER than the Yamaha 842 I used to own. It's not as good as the Adams I used to have but it's AS good as 4 different Adams horns I tried recently. Which means I got an incredible Wessex horn. I've made the switch to Geneva now based on the fact that it has a trigger and I DIDN'T want to add a trigger to this horn and my money situation is much improved. Check out Dave's intonation chart for the Wessex and this horn is SPOT ON with everything Dave tested. 5th partials are low but Middle C and Bnat can be played 4 and 4-2 and they sound wonderful. 6th partials, Eb and ENat can be easily lipped down and F can be played 4th and is manageable. I played this Wessex horn on two SFWE gigs and 3 pro gigs with the Monterey Pops last fall and have had no problem with it. Valves are wonderful.

Really now you're making me second guess
    K&G 3.5D
    San Francisco Brass Band

7. Thank you for the replies! I'm definitely interested in the wessex! Keep me posted

I was so bummed to miss that SFWE show. Also, I didn’t know you were in the Bay Area, Jake! Hello from Marin County.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

9. If you can't afford a Wessex Dolce, and are a doubler, what is wrong with a 3-valve comp? I recently purchased a older mid-sized receiver 3-valve comp B&H that does everything I need it to, being in a community band, and as an alternative to my Wessex BR115. Depending on your repertoire, unless you really need that low register below F at the bottom of the bass clef, these horns have the 11-inch bell, same primary bore, and play just as in tune as most 4-valve comps, at a lot less $$$.

TromboneConcerto - send me an e-mail jacobg at gmail and I'll send you more info when I'm ready to sell the Wessex. Waiting for new horn to come in without damage and then the Wessex can go, I anticipate this being sometime in the next few weeks. If you can't wait that long, I understand!
    K&G 3.5D
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast