X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Douglas Reid
    • Feb 2018

Benge 6 1/2 AL- L?

I am trying to understand the difference between a Benge 6 1/2 AL and a 6 1/2 AL-L. Is there a Bach mouthpiece that is equal to a 6 1/2 AL-L?

What does the second "L" mean?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Doug
  • bbocaner
    • May 2009

I would guess large shank, it's available as either from Bach but that isn't part of the model name.
    --
    Barry

Comment

• sirendude2015
      • Oct 2015

I have one of both by Benge. The 6 1/2AL-L is large shank, the 6 1/2AL is small shank. Bach's equivalent doesn't have anything in the name designating whether it is large or small shank, but can be easily purchased through Woodwind and Brasswind and their system of choosing mouthpiece model based on manufacturer and shank size.
      Last edited by sirendude2015; 02-20-2018, 07:49 AM.
      Avid horn collector, check my profile to see what I've got (not enough room to reasonably squeeze 14 horns down here!)
      YouTube Channel: TheNEWTrombonium

Comment

• daruby
        • Apr 2006

Important!! The Bach large shank 6 1/2 AL is unique in that it has the same backbore as the tenor shank. The shank just has a thicker wall. They use the same machine tool to bore the shank on both. Therefore, I would not say that it is a true large shank, unlike the difference between a Schilke 51D large vs. tenor, a Wick 4AY vs. 4AL, or a Bach 5G large vs. tenor. All of the latter have share the same rim and cup dimensions (large vs. tenor) but have a more open backbore in their large shank versions.

Doug
        Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
        Concord Band
        Winchendon Winds
        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• iiipopes
          • Feb 2016

And in the end, even though it sounds good on some instruments, a 6 1/2 AL is still a trombone mouthpiece. I have a Bach 6 1/2 AL small shank for my Wessex BR115. Everyone who plays low brass should have one just because and just in case. But for day-to-day playing I prefer the tone of the Wick SM6U, which is essentially a 6 1/2 AL with a deeper cup. The Wick SM6U rounds out the low register without losing support for the upper register. It comes in all three shank sizes: small for tenor trombone or BBB baritone, mid for old Besson/B&H, and large for modern euphs. I have the small and a mid for an older B&H 3-valve comp euph. I can't tell you if the backbore is any different; they both feel the same to me, and the literature describes the geometry from rim to backbore as the same for all three models.

Comment

• Douglas Reid
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
            I would guess large shank, it's available as either from Bach but that isn't part of the model name.
            Thanks!

Comment

• Douglas Reid
              • Feb 2018

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X