Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overwhelmed by choices! Little help?

Also, one function of the "pad" can be to distribute the pressure more evenly over the (softer) felt. But as Rick suggests, the pads may generally serve as "shims" (i.e., providing some additional "padding" or thickness to achieve exactly the correct alignment). My Mack Brass euph currently has only "felts" (though these are of synthetic material), and no pads/shims. My 1924 tuba has felts and thin shims (since it has more wear and needs the shims to get the alignment correct). Finally, cork is often used in lieu of felt since it is not so water absorbent, though it is also harder. So there are a number of options that a tech (or you) might use.

When I got my Mack Brass euph about 5 years ago, it was just great -- wonderful instrument. But the valve felts and corks were absolute CRAP. They got replaced immediately.

Yes, guides are "horn specific" -- at least generally brand specific. In general, my experience is that all these Jin Bao (or similar) instruments intended to be Yamaha clones are in fact Yamaha clones to the degree that they can use Yamaha springs, felts, etc. My Wessex Eb tuba is a Besson clone, and it -- surprise! -- uses those Besson parts.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I would go with the Yamaha. Really don't need compensating. The only time I've used the lower register is in some of the English suites including Holst. I have three nice compensators. The newer euphoniums really have a good sound.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

3. *** UPDATE***

I'm not seeing a way to edit my original post, is that not doable here? (No biggie, I just don't know if I'm missing it or if it's just not a thing.)

Since the huge majority voted on the Yamaha 321, I went with that one. I ordered it last week and it came in today. I am in love! It's so much crisper and cleaner sounding that the Mendini. It's even a tad bigger and feels more sturdy. The valves are much better, they're super quiet and they're smooth as butter! I'm already having an easier time hitting high notes. I thought I'd lost a lot of my range just from not playing for so long, but it seems like some of that was the horn I was using. I'm actually even a little sick right now and my lungs are kind of wheezy. I can't wait to see what I can do when I'm better and can put more air behind it.

Thank you all so much for your help! We have a winner!

4. Thank you so much for your help! I ordered a basic small-shank mouthpiece when I ordered my horn. Nothing fancy, it's a Faxx 6.5. But I can already tell a huge difference in how I'm playing. I'm amazed at how such a little difference in mouthpiece size can make such an improvement! I had no idea. I'm hitting higher notes with much less work and my sound is much clearer. I'm even over-shooting now because I'm so used to having to push harder to get there. There's quite a bit of difference between the Mendini mouthpiece and the new one. The Mendini mouthpiece doesn't even fit the Yamaha, it's too big around.

I would like to try out these nicer small-shank mouthpieces on this website you mentioned. But since I just dropped so much on a horn, I need to wait for my bank account to recover. My birthday isn't too far off, I may just have to put that on my list.

You guys rule. You helped so much and I'm extremely pleased with my purchase! Y'all were spot-on with the Yamaha/smaller shank combo. It's just what I needed! You have my deepest gratitude!

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Here is Doug Elliott's page with small-shank mouthpieces:

http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/tenortrb.html

He's good at working with individuals to find just the right mouthpiece.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123