Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wessex Eb Bombino Tuba - What a Great Tuba!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Wessex Eb Bombino Tuba - What a Great Tuba!

While I am primarily a euphonium player, then secondarily a trombone (tenor, bass) player, I have toyed with getting/learning tuba over the years. I recently got asked to play the tuba parts in a quintet for the upcoming Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday services. On my euphonium or bass trombone. I got the music, tried each horn, and was not really satisfied with the resulting sound. The euphonium ended up playing way too many pedal notes, and the bass trombone might be a "bit" better, but still, neither one of these instruments gave me the sound I wanted to hear or I suspect others wanted to hear.

So, I decided to look into getting a tuba, maybe. I first thought about getting a Bb tuba and was looking at a Miraphone 186-4U, some would say it is sort of the gold standard in 4/4 sized Bb tubas. But I would be shelling out around 8-9K to get one new with a case. Not sure at my tender age if that would be a wise investment, as it may sit around after these upcoming Easter gigs. I do plan, however, to reconstitute my brass quintet with some different personnel and with me on tuba, perhaps. So, after my great satisfaction with a Wessex Dolce euphonium I bought a couple years ago (and still have) to bridge the gap from selling my Miraphone M5050 and waiting on my Adams E3 to be built (six months), I decided to look and see what Wessex had to offer.

I looked at their entire tuba lineup. Long and short, I decided to get the Eb Bombino, a 4 piston valve, compensating horn that is the same configuration as my euphonium (3 + 1). In fact, it looks like my euphonium on steroids or super-sized. I opted for Eb as I think this would be a nice tuba for a brass quintet, which is what I would end up using a tuba for in the long run. And the size (3/4) is just right. It has heft to it, but not so huge that you can't handle it. I got it yesterday, and it arrived quickly and in perfect condition (as did my Wessex Dolce euphonium a couple years ago). I won't bother with pictures, as you can visit the Wessex site and see some very high quality professional pictures. I got the lacquered version (like my Dolce).

Build quality is excellent, don't see anything at all that gets my attention. The case is ABS with wheels, I like it a lot better than my Dolce case, which protects fine, but is rather bulky (not heavy). Reminds me of the excellent case I had for my Miraphone. The mouthpiece (Mt Vernon model - whatever that is, I have little experience with tuba mouthpieces) seems to work fine and is not as big as I remember tuba mouthpieces to be when I have ever tried to blow one in the past. Since I read both bass clef and treble clef fluently, playing Eb is a snap, almost. Just read the bass clef parts as if they were treble clef and add 3 sharps. I have played through some music and this works fine. I still have to concentrate a little bit on accidentals, but I think very shortly this will be as easy as reading tenor clef (which I read as treble, also).

The horn sounds wonderful. Full rich sound in the low range. Nice in the upper range and fairly easy to get to. I was surprised at how easily I could just play this horn right out of the box. I need some work on the very low range as I couldn't get some of those notes to sound easily or at all. But I suspect this will come in due time. The intonation is amazingly good, might even be better than my Adams euphonium. No kidding.

There are a bunch of spit keys and a couple right above and over the bottom bow. Once I figure out which way to lean/move the horn, I should be able to empty them without getting water all over the horn as I did the first time I tried. This may be the case on other tubas, I just don't really know. The horn does come with a drip catcher for the 3 upright valves, and it is needed, as it gets a goodly amount of drips from the valves. Just like a 3 + 1 euphonium, the 2nd valve slide fills quicker than the other valve slides.

Valves are working fine already. All slides pull nicely. I haven't removed all the upper or lower valve caps, but I did have to work a little to get the upper 2nd valve cap screwed back on. I know about these tendencies with the valve caps. This seems to be almost ubiquitous with the Chinese made horns and would be an area that I would try to improve if I were Wessex (I think they are). And the valves are vented!! How nice, I didn't expect that.

I am absolutely stunned over this horn. It is very, very nice. Wessex ships with a two week return policy, no questions asked. It took me all of 5 minutes to know with certainty that this horn is a keeper. Wessex - "you can't have it back, it's mine!"

If you are considering an Eb tuba (piston vs. rotary valves), this is an incredible horn for just over 2K. Happy, happy camper here!!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-16-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks for that great, descriptive review! I'm glad you found a good partner there. My own Sovereign Eb has a fine sound and, as you said, is very comfortable for a euphonium player to use. The Sovereign is really heavy, which is not a good thing these days. Too many problems with my back. Fortunately I don't need to use it very often. The "Champion" Wessex offers is more similar to my Sovereign. The Bombino's smaller form factor would probably be a better match for me.

Sounds like Wessex has a winner there at a very nice price point!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The only regret I have about getting my Wessex Champion is the 19" bell. At the time, I thought this would be the necessary way to go in order to support a moderately sized community band. As time has passed, I've come to believe that the smaller (15"?) bell version would have been a better idea for me. But these are just fantastic horns for the price (and for way beyond the price). Tone quality and intonation are just superb.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Here is a cool video of jazz playing on the Bombino
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddArOsc-q4
    Last edited by JakeGuilbo; 02-16-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: trying to add to conversation
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    Here is a cool video of jazz playing on the Bombino
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddArOsc-q4
    In fact, I listened to that exact video before buying. And then I contacted Daniel Ridder, the person playing, and asked him more about the horn. We actually started up a little back and forth as he plays in a German Military Band as I did in the U.S. And I lived in Germany for 9 years, so we had a nice chat about various things. He really liked the Bombino and a few other tubas he did videos for Wessex. The horn is excellent, couldn't be happier.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    The only regret I have about getting my Wessex Champion is the 19" bell. At the time, I thought this would be the necessary way to go in order to support a moderately sized community band. As time has passed, I've come to believe that the smaller (15"?) bell version would have been a better idea for me. But these are just fantastic horns for the price (and for way beyond the price). Tone quality and intonation are just superb.
    Gary, you are quite right about these Eb horns from Wessex. They are exceptional. I opted for the smaller Bombino as I thought this might be just the right instrument for a brass quintet, nice bass but not overpowering. Jonathan of Wessex Tubas says he has used it in a smaller concert band and it worked great, and he also said this would be his horn of choice for brass quintet work. I am sure I could play this in my New Horizons Band in Rapid City with good results. The tone is great and intonation is equally great. I just can't get it in my head that I spent a trifle more than 2K for this horn.

Here is a picture with the new Eb Bambino tuba beside my Adams E3 Euphonium:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2495.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	5894

By the way, this is the ONLY time you will ever see my euphonium sitting on its bell, I never do this. But for a couple seconds on a padded felt cloth with no one around but me, I did the unthinkable. I will be getting a K&M stand for the tuba, like I have for my euphonium.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-17-2018 at 12:34 AM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Dang, now you've got me wanting one, for times when I could double on tuba. I'm too old for this kind of temptation!
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Go for it David, you only live once (or so I am told). I'm 70 and plan to be playing many more years. I was a smoker for years, so my lungs are not what they would be if I hadn't smoked. That said, I can blow this horn just fine. It is just a really, really nice horn. I can't get over how nice it is.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

John - have you tried the VW on it yet? I'm wondering how well this horn would work for solo work.
    http://petruccilibrary.ca/linkhandle...acont_part.pdf
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    John - have you tried the VW on it yet? I'm wondering how well this horn would work for solo work.
    http://petruccilibrary.ca/linkhandle...acont_part.pdf
    Well, no, I haven't tried the VW Concerto for Bass Tuba, but I have tried If I Only Had a Brain from the Wizard of Oz. Mind you, I am not a tuba player. This is my very first serious adventure into the world of tuba, except for the once every 20 years toot on a tuba I tried and pretty much sucked on.

But I did print out the Concerto and played a little of it. Humbling for a non-tuba player still trying to get chops working. But I am pretty sure this would sound pretty okay using an accomplished tuba player on this horn. Jonathan of Wessex Tubas says this would be his horn of choice for brass quintet work. This horn doesn't have a massive sound, but it does have a pretty decent sound. I can play about three octaves on it, still working on the lower notes. A truly great horn, in my opinion.

As far as solo work, hmmm.... I think I read, or just figured out, that on a tuba, rotary valves allow you to go faster than pistons. When I compare the speed at which I can play a scale on the tuba vs. on my euphonium, my euphonium is a gazillion times faster. Some of that has to do with the valve size and throw and some with the response of the tuba (being slower, so in order to make the scale clean, I have to go not as fast as I do on euphonium). So for really technical stuff where you need to move quickly, I would think an Eb rotary valve tuba would be better. Øystein Baadsvik plays an Eb (with rotary valves), a Miraphone I believe. And on a scale of 1-10 for how good he is, he is about a 30. Certainly solo work on his tuba works quite well. I still think this tuba would work for solo stuff, but maybe not so much the very technical stuff. Or it could be that I just currently suck on moving the valves fast.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast