Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wessex Eb Bombino Tuba - What a Great Tuba!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    ...In the mean time, does anyone know about a Tuba Christmas style event in Northern California? If so, please forward the details to me. I would be interested in learning more...

Sara Hood (Baritone in Sacramento, CA)
    Sara,

Go here: http://www.tubachristmas.com/ Select "Where is TubaChristmas?", Select California and click "Display" and you can see all the places with contact information. You should be able to find a place this year to play. There have been TubaChristmas events in Sacramento for close to 40 years.

I share your enthusiasm for musicians getting the opportunity to play and hang out, however, Tuba Christmas was started by a tuba player for players within the tuba family of instruments. It's like letting a clarinet player in a brass quintet. There are a bazillion opportunities for trombone players (quintets, duets, brass choirs, trombone choirs, wind ensembles, the list goes on). I look at this as not respecting the wishes of the founder of Tuba Christmas, Harvey Phillips. And quite frankly, ruining the sound that was intended. Your reasoning would allow a saxophone or piccolo player to join in.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 03-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks for the Tuba Christmas info. I was pleased to find an event in Sacramento (grin). Maybe I will have to start a new Christmas tradition. The question was raised, "What about British Baritones?" I would need an answer to that question too as that in my horn of choice.

I would be glad to discuss the "What to do about...?" question with you in another posting, so that we do not highjack the original poster's intent. If you don't wish to, that is okay too. No hard feelings either way.

Back to the original topic. This review makes me wish I was back in the Los Angeles area, so I could try all the Wessex horns personally (grin)!
    - Sara

I think a British baritone would be fine... MUCH better than trying to join on trombone. But, that’s just my opinion.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Greetings from a member of the Board of Directors of the Harvey Phillips Foundation! If you have purchased a more recent version of the music, you will see my (real, not Snorlax) name and a short bio in the book.

Trombones are not a part of TUBACHRISTMAS celebrations. Their event is JINGLEBONES, at least around these Indianapolis Parts.

British baritones, however, are most welcome, as are the bell-front "hybrids" that many school children use.

Jim
    Last edited by Snorlax; 03-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Greetings from a member of the Board of Directors of the Harvey Phillips Foundation! If you have purchased a more recent version of the music, you will see my (real, not Snorlax) name and a short bio in the book.

Trombones are not a part of TUBACHRISTMAS celebrations. Their event is JINGLEBONES, at least around these Indianapolis Parts.

British baritones, however, are most welcome, as are the bell-front "hybrids" that many school children use.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim. I will make a copy of your message and pass it on to our local TubaChristmas organizers. Maybe they will get it straight this year!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Thanks for that great, descriptive review! I'm glad you found a good partner there. My own Sovereign Eb has a fine sound and, as you said, is very comfortable for a euphonium player to use. The Sovereign is really heavy, which is not a good thing these days. Too many problems with my back. Fortunately I don't need to use it very often. The "Champion" Wessex offers is more similar to my Sovereign. The Bombino's smaller form factor would probably be a better match for me.

Sounds like Wessex has a winner there at a very nice price point!
    Ever think of selling your Eb Bass?
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Too many problems with my back.
    Been there ... am there ... For the past year have been thinking about a return to my neuro-surgeon -- and had my primary care write a script for an MRI. But haven't got it. Just not sure the additional surgery would be worth the hassle and (minor, to be sure) risk vs. continuing along just being careful and exercising appropriately. My surgeon's attitude is "If you have more trouble, come back. I can fix it." And I'm quite sure he can. It's mostly that at this stage of my life I resent spending any time recovering from anything (I just spent close to a month recovering from a massive -- and hugely successful -- sinus surgery/configuration without playing). Tradeoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden
    The "Champion" Wessex offers is more similar to my Sovereign. The Bombino's smaller form factor would probably be a better match for me.
    My Champion weighs only about 3 lbs more than the listed weight of the Bombino. Wessex lists the weight differential as 2.5 lbs. So how much difference would that make? And I find I can still lug the Champion around in my Gard bag without harming myself -- if I'm careful. I suppose the "form factor" would be relevant as well, but once I'm seated with it on my home-made tuba stand, I'm not supporting any weight. So I haven't been able to pull the trigger on selling it and getting a Bombino or trying to swap for one. I probably should. But on the other hand, I think the Champion pitches a lot more sound than the Bombino. But on the third hand, I'm not actually playing tuba nowadays, and I'm not sure how much I will be in the future. And I do have that old Buescher which really IS light. Color me conflicted.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234